1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Homelite VS. Echo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mitchell, Oct 7, 2000.

1. Mitchell

Mitchell LawnSite Member

I recently went to Home Depot and priced a Homelite dual string, straight shaft, 17'' cut w a 25cc engine for $109.00 They had an Echo (model 2100SP) dual string, straight shaft,(longer shaft than Homelite and Im 6'5'') 17'' cut w a 21.6cc engine for $199.00(on sale). Is Echo worth the extra $90.00 for the smaller engine? I have 14 residential accounts.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Echo 2100 that I bought used 2 years ago. I only use it as a backup but have had zero problems with it. It probably gets about 8 hours of use a week. Being 6'3" I also appreciate the longer shaft. Also throw out cc measurements and HP measurements. That Echo will power through more than the Homelite. For residentials only the Echo is a good choice.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If I had a choice of just those 2, I would get the Echo. It is a better trimmer plus the taller you are, the longer the trimmer shaft needs to be so you don't have to bend over to trim.

4. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo hands down...

Chris

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

That's the baby Echo straight shaft.

It CAN be bought for $169 if you shop online or e-mail me and I'll tell you where to mail-order it for that much.

For 14 residentials, it's a pretty decent trimmer.

6. Mark_Christopher

Mark_Christopher LawnSite Member

Mitchell,

Go with the Echo... Im still in the residential maintenance business with about 45 accounts and have a Echo for my back-up and it still runs great. If you're going to be in the business, it's always better to spend that little extra cash and do it right the first time- You wont regret it.

Mark

7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have the Echo 2601 trimmers they where like $270 or so a piece, your best bet is to go to http://www.alamia.com
    they have a huge selection of commercial trimmers.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If you get the Echo, there will be more support in service and parts. Most lawn mower shops sell Echo products. Check out the Shindaiwa T230's.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with everyone but Homelite's aren't bad. I bought one last year before I started my biz this year otherwise I probably would have gotten a Stihl. My Homelite has given me 0 problems in the time I have owned it. It's got lots of power with the 25 cc engine. I let one of my dad's friends use it and he thought it was like going from a Ford Fiesta to a Lamborgini compared to his Weed-Eater.:)

10. script

script LawnSite Member

I also agree that the homelites are great residential trimmers, and I used a homelite when I started, but my Echo hasn't given me any problems at all since day one. So I'd have to say get the Echo. BUT,,, I've used a freinds Red Max and if you could swing it, I'd go with it. It was awsome and if my Echo ever dies I'll probably get one.

Bobby