Homemade Blade Grinder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newblade, Apr 7, 2007.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

Is there anyway to convert a bench grinder to have some sort of device to put the same edge on a blade everytime without spending $300.00. Does it matter what kind of grinding wheel? I know that someone said not to get the blade very hot or something like that in another post.

2. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

im sure something could be rigged up with a block of wood but what ive noticed is reg bench grinders will stop if you put much load on them, and as the whell wears down your angle would change if you are going to make something so fancy that you can adjust you may as well spend the 300, or 1300 for a magna matic =)

when you turn the blade black and get it to hot you take away the temper so it will dull faster in those spots.

3. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I bet you could rig some kind of table like the Magna Matic has. The table gets lowered or raised to change the angle of the blade. Then see if you can get a magna matic or similar type soft metal grinding wheel to fit the home made grinder.

One of the big differences in the Magna Matic and a regular bench grinder is the RPM of the motor. The Magna Matic spins faster then a regular bench grinder.

4. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

We sharpen som on the mower and remove others. Use shop grinders. Works great - quick.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Several people have made jigs for their bench grinders and have even posted pics. Do a search, and I'm willing to bet you'll find something.

6. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually rigged one up this weekend with two blocks of wood. Works OK but I'd recommend getting the real deal if you are using this in business. For the homeowner like myself this works fine for the time being.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

if you are going to be in the business spend the bucks and by the right equipment for the job. You will not be disappointed with the results. Would you buy a homeowner grade mower for a commercial application? same thing here.

I used the Lesco Model and the RBG models. I love the RBG's
    http://www.rbggrinders.com/

lesco is good for the budget minded...