1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

homemade chute blocker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lzrj, Mar 17, 2008.

1. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

Can anyone give me ideas how to make a good discharge blocker. I don't have a welder to custom make one so I was seeing if anyone has made their own and the best way to do it for not a lot of money.
  2. K-4 Mowing

K-4 Mowing LawnSite Member

I was wondering the same. I think you could just take a thin piece of steel and a pin and put it over the discharge chute. that way you could take it off if you didn't need it. just an idea
  3. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Some steel hardware hinges and 1 or 2 expired liscence plates bolted together if your really cheap.
  4. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

Quit being a couple of cheap guys and actually go spend some money from businesses that support our industry you goofs... my god :hammerhead::hammerhead:

G, I don't know, go put a big concrete block in front of the chute... that should work dude!! Otherwise, just do some subbing. :weightlifter: :confused::confused: :clapping:
  5. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

So you are saying when my car break downs, I need to go spend $500 to support the auto industry when I can do it myself for $100. Most things out here these days are way overpriced so the big guys can get richer while the poor get poorer. Get real, I can choose to spend my money any way I want and if there is a cheaper that works the same, I will do it. I'm asking anyone that has done a homemade blocker to help with some advise, not a wiseguy that did not contribute one bit to this thread.
  6. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

fiberglass once made use screws to secure it.
    Google fiberglass how to.
  7. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

I bought a roll of wire mesh, cut out pieces and bolted them to the side. The mesh is very inexpensive, just a few bucks for a roll big enough to do several mowers. It does a pretty good job blocking the clippings, you might get a little coming through but nothing is gonna fly through the holes several feet. It did a great job for mulching up leaves, once the leaves blocked all the little holes nothing escaped.
  8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have been thinking of making one. It would be interesting to hear from others who have done the same.
  9. Power Chute Design

Power Chute Design LawnSite Senior Member

I'll tell you how this started with me. When I initially wanted an OCDC, well before I got into manufacturing them, I had a John Deere 727A Z-Trak and made one that was attached to the underside of the OEM discharge chute.

I got a piece of very thin sheet metal (say 16 to 18 ga. thickness). I made it the length and height of the discharge opening so it would block the entire opening when closed. BUT, you make it taller so you can bend it at a right angle and drill a few holes thru the bent section and the OEM chute and bolt them together. This what when the deflector is open the sheet metal blocker is sticking straight out to the side and when it is down the blocker closes off the opening.

Then to raise and lower it, the cheapest way again would be a shock cord you have attached to the deflector and the other end up by you somewhere. You could reach down and pull toward you to open. Let it go and it would drop to the closed position.

NOW..be aware that when this is used in the up position so clippings could flow freely out the dishcarge opening you have NO DEFLECTOR and could throw objects from under the deck into harms way.

That's the first one I used personally...Norm
  10. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, we made one for our John Deere 7H17 walk behind. It seems like it's going to work great (haven't started mowing yet). I'll try to get back to this thread and explain how we made it. It is even able to be adjusted to different positions. We painted it green like the mower, and it looks great.
    We did have to weld to make it.