Homemade dump trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by wriken, May 11, 2003.

1. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

What do you think?, I have a 6.5x12' trailer single axle, what do you think if I put a dump insert towards the rear of the trailer and mount my leaf vac up in the remaining trailer, build a box for it, so I could load leaves in it. Being's a single axle, do you think after adding all of this I will be able to carry a decent load, or should I go with a tandem axle?

2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Well being a single axle it most likely will not carry too much wieght.I would go with a tandam.

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

You probably have a 3500#axle,that figure includes weight of trailer itself..how much would a trailer of leaves weigh??

4. wriken

ya I know my trailer weighs around 600 lbs, vac about 250, don't know what a insert weighs, any ideas. All this on a 3500lb axle.

5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

My same sized trailer weighs 900 pounds, if it only weighs 600 it must be very light duty. I don't care what the axle is rated, what about the rest. I believe the dump inserts vary from 600-1200 pounds. all that rig just to be able to carry a half ton of leaves? why dont you just buy a dump trailer and put the sucker on that.

6. wriken

well if i was rich I probably would LOL, but I was trying to get something going with what I already have, I just bought a 25' enclosed, but do have a 20' open, I guess I could mount it towards the back of it, put a side ramp to carry ztr, and go like that. But who knows I might go and buy a 7x14' dump. Then I would have to buy another diesel to pull my ztr/vac system around. I ck out the weight of a dump insert, 820 lbs.

7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I've seen a set up similar to this. I think it was minus the dump insert. The leaf loader was in the back of the truck. Good luck to ya. Post pics.