Homemade OCDC/Chute Blocker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithers, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I made a chute blocker out of 1/4 aluminum and punched holes all over for my Lazer HP 44"

It worked really good as far as being able to mow close to landscape beds with the chute facing them, but naturally there was a lot of clumping (pic 2).

If i open up the holes, the clumping might be less, but then more grass will be displaced in the beds.

I really hate cutting the same way each week.....with the chute away from the beds. i end up leaving ruts in the ground and it does not look good.

what do you guys use? or you just cut the same way week after week?

OCDC.jpg

2. Smithers

leaving clumps all over

Clump1.jpg

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

You've created a chute blocker.. Add some hinges and a control mechanism, and you'll be set.. You're getting the clumps because the grass builds up then drops out.. I believe the OCDC's are made, just so thet you don't fog down a bed or street with clippings.. I don't believe they are meant to be a " mulch kit ".. At least not without the rest of the parts & mulching blades..

4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

What you Have is a Piece of Metal Covering Your Chute...What You Need is an OCDC or Mulch Kit.

5. Smithers

fareway...what's the difference between the OCDC and what i have?

i am using the mulching blades.

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, you have a chute blocker. an ocdc means an operator controlled discharge chute.

if you mount the chute blocker on a hinge and put a piece of metal extending to an area where you can open an close it on the go, you'll be set. for these applications, it's really nice to be able to weld. you can do it without welding, but it is easier the other way.

8. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I went with a full mulch kit after fooling with with several versions of a control system for a blocker... what a PITA.
    Mulching now and not looking back.

9. Smithers

do you get clumps? what about in heavy grass? do you take it off when you do leaf cleanup?

10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, no clumps.
    I have not done leaf cleanup yet

My mulching kit came with new baffles that bolt in place and they completely change the inner shape of the deck.
    It also uses true mulching blades, the ones that lift and cut out near the tips and then they cut again towards the spindle as the secondary blade shape pushes the clippings back down into the grass.
    (They lift near the tips, then push back down on the inner section, creating a "circulation" of sorts.)

The clippings come out very small, the cut is better, and I have not noticed any notable bogging down.
    Best of all you never need worry about where your chute is pointed.