1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

homemade racks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mikesjumpingin, Jul 6, 2003.

1. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

I saw a trailer with pvc pipes mounted vertically for holding shovels, etc., and was wondering if I should do the same, plus, is there an alternative to $200 racks for trimmers?

Any mistakes to avoid before I destroy my equipment on the road?

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

When I had my open trailer I had 6 pvc tubes for holding rakes, shovels, etc. My friend from Florida said why didn't you just put one real big PVC tube up in the front corner and you could put it all in there. Wish he was there before I installed all six of em.
  3. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

To mount my trimmers inside my enclosed trailer I used (for each one) 2 L-brackets for shelving with a piece of 2x4 mounted on top. Then I screwed into the top of each a couple of rubber covered u-shaped wall-mount tool-holders. I then attached a small rubber bungee to the front one to hold down the weight and screwed them to the wall.

The trimmer sits horizontally (like other racks) and it and NEVER falls out.

Co$t = about $3.00 each

p.s. Hand held blower holders:

Standard plastic milk crate with a "U" cut out of 2 opposing sides. Mount it to whatever - blower sits nicely into it and will NOT fall out!

Co$t = about $2.00 each
    Greg Miller likes this.
  4. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

I made a tool rack with 2x4's. It's four pieces held together with stainless steel bolts and is bolted to the side of my trailer.

3" holes were drilled into the top and middle pieces to slide the handles into. Here's a quick shot:

The clamp on the end holds my edger, it's one of those Home Depot clamps.

picture 005.jpg
  5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

If you drilled 3" holes in a 2x4 it would leave only 1/4 inch wall on each side of the holes? sure they arent 2x6's ?
  6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I tried making a trimmer holder...I used it fr about a year, then got a Trimmer Trap (4 holder type) works much slicker.

For hand tools, I used 2 corregated 2" 1/8 angle, then bolted "U-Bolts throught the holes , top and bottom...then mounted it to the back side of the Trimmer Trap. The tool handles slip down through the U-Bolts, which are spaced about 12 to 18" apart. ;)
  7. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

Maybe, but you get the idea. :)
  8. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

Mike, I made a set of 5, 2" pvc tool holders for my trailer. I cut the pipe 3' long, glued a cap on one end and drilled a hole in it. I used pipe hangers and mounted them to a piece of 2" angle iron, which is bolted to the trailer side. I have a tractor I haul on the same trailer so it is mounted on the outside of the trailer. I just got a new digital camera yesterday, I will try to get some pics this week.
  9. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

My husband made our trimmer rack. He's a full-time firefighter. They had an old weight set at the station they were going to get rid of. he took it apart, and part of it became our trimmer rack. He bolted the peices to the trailer, and the weedeater is held in place by clamps they use on thr fire trucks to hold their equipment in place. It's hard to explain, but the pics will show you...Total cost....$0

10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone here make racks?

If so please contact me @ (303)523-LEWN (5396) or email me Thank you,