Homemade rake, shovel, racks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtwcutt, Mar 14, 2008.

1. mtwcutt

mtwcutt LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

Do any of you guys have any homemade racks for rakes, shovels etc. ,etc. for your open trailer? I remember seeing at one time a picture of a guys trailer and he used pvc? Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks in advance..

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i bolted 2 pieces of 4" PVC 4 feet long to the back side of my cage, you can get 3 or 4 shovels or rakes into each one. all you have to do is drop the handle in the top. a 8' piece is about $5 at home depot. you can get the schedule 40 which is heavier but the inside diameter is a little smaller.:usflag:

3. mtwcutt

mtwcutt LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

That sounds easy enough. My only problem is I do not have a cage or anything up high to mount it to. My trailer has the low sides. Any ideas on securing the top of the pipe? Thanks!!

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe pick up a 4' piece of 1" tubing from home depot and bolt the pipes to it and then bolt it to the rail.:usflag:

5. ***CLC***

***CLC*** LawnSite Member

Get yourself a few pieces of angle iron. You’ll want to see how far the tools will stretch to get the right length. Drill holes in the frame of your trailer and in 2 sections of angle iron (2 holes for each piece, this will hold it firmly). These 2 sections will be the vertical supports. Then take an additional piece of angle iron and drill holes to attach as the horizontal piece (be at the height you want to support you PVC pipe). You’ll want to primer the holes in the trailer and then also the angle iron before you paint it. Then use this frame work as the anchors for your PVC pipe. You’ll be able to buy “U-Bolts” to mount the PVC pipe to the trailer frame and the horizontal bracing. Also, only use stainless steel bolts so you don’t create a rust problem. I will be doing the exact same thing this week for my shovels, rakes, hoes, etc. Best of luck…

6. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Measure the widest handled tool you have and start from there. You can also downsize the PVC pipe so that the smaller width tools have less play. I set mine up with 2" in the middle and went out to the sides with 1 1/2" (just to look symmetrical). If you post a pic of your railing maybe I can get a better idea for mounting it.

7. mtwcutt

mtwcutt LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

Thanks guys for the ideas. I should get it done this weekend.

8. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

Any updates mtwcutt? Pictures?

9. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the best pic I could find of mine on my open trailer. I used PVC pipes as the backing of the holder and then fastened it to the trailer with U-bolts. I will try and get a better pic. If you look in the driveway farther back by the boat, you will see my other single axle trailer with the same type of rack. I will take pics of that one too, since it is mounted different.

CIMG0732 (Small).JPG

10. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

I see several people using small individual PVC pipes for each tool. Why doesn't anyone just use one larger pipe and put everything in it? Seems to me it would make more sense that way.

Either way, nice setup Guzman.