1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Homemade rubber stripe kits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lzrj, Mar 14, 2008.

1. lzrj

lzrj LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of building a stripe kit made from a 7 gauge L bracket with a 3/4" thick piece of horse mat attached. I debated whether to use rubber or wheels so Im trying the rubber first. I researched everything on here first to try to "weed" out the kinks. Most rubber kits I've seen only went to about ground level. I think wheels would do a better job at than that becuase weight is what causes the grass to bend over more and stay better. I figure I would make the rubber longer where it bends down onto the ground so it gives greater force to bend the grass over. My only concern with longer is; what will happen when I have to back up (my land is long and more narrow so there is little backing). Im hoping it will stay in the same position because the mat is so thick or it could be forced back the opposite way after catching the ground doing damage to the grass. Anyone using homemade rubber kits for stripes? Show me some pics of the kit if the stripes are good.