Homemade Striper kit with Chain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithers, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I am really confused. I read so much about the home made striping kits and how great they work....so i bought some 3/8" chain, a pre-drilled angle iron piece, and attached 6 links.

Did not want to make any longer before i knew it really worked.

Set the height at 4", cut my lawn, and was very, very dissapointed when nothing happened.

I know that 6 links (about 6"-7") wide is not enough, but still.....not even a hair difference.

Here are the pictures.

2. Smithers

here is another one.

3. Smithers

how the "stripes" looked once i had cut it....

no difference with or without the chain. very dissapointed!!! :cry: :cry:

4. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Most mowers stripe without striping kits, well atleast mine does very well. I'm surprised that eXmark doesn't lay down a nice stripe without anything, nevermind WITH it.
  5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Try making the Chains longer. You could also check your deck pitch. Another thing that works on our Scags is lower the tire 4 PSI than it currently is.
  6. ProfessionalTouch

ProfessionalTouch LawnSite Member

How heavy are the chains.I made a chain kit for a front mount grasshopper. It leaves a better stripe then exmarks turf roller on are other mower.With out the kit the mower still stripes, but with it their much darker.
  7. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Dude you just simply don't have enough chains on there nor are they long enough. Make the chains just long enough that they will not go under the mowing deck or tires when backing. Also you will only need/want them to run the length from inside of one tire to the inside of the other as the tires will already be laying the grass down under them. So there is no reason to go the entire length of the deck.
  9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of grass do you have. Some grasses stripe better than others.
  10. mhunt

mhunt LawnSite Member
    from SE

at 4" you should be able to stripe anything. try making the chains a little longer or to save money on the chain, lower the angle iron, it looks as though theres only 2 or 3 links touching the ground. in my opinion, any commercial mower should stripe with out a kit on the proper turf, so check the pitch on the deck.