Homemade stripers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

Just got back from home depot. I really dispise paying $200-300 for such a simple device so I thought I would make my own. Has anyone done this? My plan is for a 2" peice of black PVC/ABS that will be attached directly under the reverse cage on my bobcat ZTR. I bought little blast caps for the end and 4 ft peices of rebar so I can adjust the weight of the striper whenever I want. Im using pipe strapping to connect the pipe to the ztr. Is there anything im missing? I think it will work really well. Any input appreciated..

Cheers
    Jeff

2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Try a big truck mudflap - the 1/2" thick heavy kind.
    Use two equal length pieces of 1 or 2" wide x 1/4" thick flat bar steel.
    Drill matching holes through all pieces, including the flap sections.
    Drill a few holes in the back of your deck, were you can, that match your holes in your steel bars/flaps, be sure your blade tips dont hit your bolt heads.
    Bolt the pinched flap to the back of your deck... it works great, its durable and it costs almost nothing.

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i would sudjest going to sears and buying their tow behind roller for about $70 and just making a permanent mount on the ZTR, but that might not work so well, a great alternative is either mud flaps or chains.

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

cost is a big factor to consider, i am going to have to replace a section of the rooler on my braodmoor, and it is going to cost about $30 for a 6 in. long plastic roller.

5. Hovey's Lawn Care

Hovey's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Anyone have pictures of a rubber flap set up? I would like to try something like this on my jd stander. Does it work pretty good? I have looked for thick heavy rubber but everywhere I have been I haven't seen any.
    Thanks

6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

You can get the thick flaps from heavy truck repair shops, and dealerships.
    I've seen some that say NAPA on them, but I dont know if you cant get them from a NAPA store - it might be worth a look though.

My Gravely came with the first support bar welded to the back of the deck, but using bolts through both bars to secure it shouldnt make any difference.

I've got mine set to almost touch the concrete at a cutting height of 3.5", which is where I usually mow.
    My flaps are cut to be 5.25" tall and are in 2 separate pieces spanning the width of the deck, its easier to assemble that way.

These flaps work exceptionally well.
    It looks like this...

IMG_1061_sml.jpg

IMG_1063_sml.jpg

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats wrong with dragging something? I figure a peice of rubber is the exact same thing as dragging something. I will take some pics when I put this together today and post up the results.

Cheers
    Jeff

8. Hovey's Lawn Care

Hovey's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Thanks Dashunde, looks good. I will try some trucker places.

9. TrpD345

TrpD345 LawnSite Member

I read on here one time about the mud flap being better if it was placed at the rear of a ZTR b/c you could back all the way up to obstacles such as flower beds and therefore your stripe would start farther back. This way you would get about another 1 1/2' to 2' of stripe. I also saw where someone had posted pix's of a flap mounter to the rear of a John Deere Z-Track. I searched forever last night, but could not find it. Can someone help me out!! Thanks! I plan on putting the flap on my 737 at the rear for the reason stated above.

10. TrpD345

TrpD345 LawnSite Member

Also, if it is mounted to the back of your mower and not the deck, you will get the same stripe effect no matter what the height of cut is. There is also no way it could effect your deck.