1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheLawnShark, Mar 31, 2007.

1. TheLawnShark

TheLawnShark LawnSite Member

Let's see some pics of those avid lawn care professionals who use "cheap"-"home-made" striping kits, instead of paying a good chunk of $$$ for em!!!!
  2. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

I just started working on mine today. I will show you some pics of the work in progress.

The piece that the chain is mounted to:

Mounting the chain:

Chain mounted, but still needs to be adjusted:

I will try to post some photos of it finished when I get a chance.
  3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

CNY- No Offense intended man, but the punch brace stock you are using is what 3/32 thick? I give the whole rig a 2-3 minute lifespan till it starts falling apart. What you need to find is the safety chain shielding like they use on highway mowers. Look at one at your nearest highway garage, and you'll see that the plate the chain hangs from is at least 1/4" thick and the chains are the same length, and there are no loops of chain, which could hook a septic cap, and Knock your whole contraption caterwhumpus, or worse yet flip it over or sideways. Please don't use this thing until you at least cut those loops of chain at the bottoms. You are in my prayers tonight.:nono: :nono:
  4. cnymowing

like I said... it is a work in progress
  5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

CYN- Just did a google search, recommend you do the same. Search mower safety chains. Go to page 3 . Go to 3rd item should be titled "Safety Chains and shields...". Will show a John Deere Bush hog, and the shields attached to it. Recommend that you build something of similar strength.
  6. cnymowing

DIY- I checked that out... it would not be easy to do a setup like that on my mower.
  7. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

inch and 5/8 strut. http://www.unistrut.com/Browse/cat_pg.php?P=S00_Channel

2x inch and 5/8 strut hanging down (as far as you want) then a piece of angle iron and another piece of strut hanging close to the ground. with chains hanging from that. use 3/8 20 x 1" bolts and 3/8's spring nuts to catch the strut.

good luck.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Shoulda bought a scag.
  9. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

my new 36 inch huskey w/b stripes great without a striping kit. your mower doesn't?
  10. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Please use the search........enough said......;)