1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Homemade striping kit for 21" W/B?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, May 8, 2003.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

A while back, several folks posted some pictures and instructions of how they made a homemade striping kit for their 21" w/b. Can anyone tell me how they did this? And did it work well?

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Please I would like to know this also.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Well? Anyone? Please? Pretty please?
  4. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

$80 total cost and would have been at least half that if I had welding equipment. I am pretty excited about this unit. I had to try it out on an area that was the closest but had to cut it VERY short; this also wasn't the best candidate to use since the yard isn't really up to par and they don't want to fert or overseed, aerate, etc. So please don't give me too much flack over the stripes. They'll look much better when I do my yard hopefully this weekend. We designed the kit so it can be removed fairly easily by removing two bolts and can be hooked up before putting it on the trailer by adding a bracket to use the existing hook which is meant to hold the standing platform up when transporting.

UGA has attached this image:

5. UGA

And another pic

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

this is one i made a while back, I've since replaced it with a roller.

7. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out my post "REPOST! Striping Roller- How to build w/Pics". You can buy one from McMaster-Carr and fabricate it yourself. Another option would be to go here http://www.inventtek.com/ and save yourself some of the hassle.
  8. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

here is some results with a 21 inch mower and inventtek roller.Roller costs 59.95 includes shipping.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Many thanks, guys. And thanks for the pictures. One last question: Does anyone know the pros/cons of rollers vs. chains? I noticed that VipermanZ had said that he switched from chains to a roller.

The $59.99 striping kit from Innovent.com looks pretty good.

Thanks again,

10. UGA

in the gris of your trailer if it isn't a wood floor trailer. Mine is metal grid so I had the welder attached a bracket to be able to hook mine up out of the way for loading. I only had to forget to hook it up once. It came up on the trailer ok but the links fall in between the grids and taked a couple of minutes to get them out; I use the hook allways now. I read here once that you want to make sure to use chain that has bigger links than your trailer grid but I didn't want to use that large of chain. My buddy is looking at a roller set up and from everything I've seen here most people like them alot. I just figured I could spend a little on the chains and if I didn't like them I could spend more on a exmark or big league lawn roller kit. Now you can make one for alot less(find post on how to build). JMO , so far I really like my chains. For you I think that invotent(sp) is probably the best option and seems to give great results. If they made one 32" wide I would have bought it. I still will if they ever make one. For that price it be hard not to. I'm sure a longer roller will cost more but not as much as an ExMark roller. Good luck.