Homemade trailer cage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Chilehead, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

My trailer currently does not have a cage, and I could use one for extra storage. Considering that the structural components of most cages is angle iron (tubular if high-end), I had considered constructing one out of some unused bed frame rails I have. Yes, I actually have about 8 rails I will never use, but acquired over the years from people I know who were going to throw them away. Now I may have a use for them. Is this doable?

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind bed frames are usually high strength steel you won't beable to drill it. To cut them it will be with a carbon blade (zip disk) everything will have to be welded.

3. Chilehead

Yeah, I'm trying to get around welding anything (I never have).

4. bmxdude

bmxdude LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Harborfrieghts having a sale (when aren't they though)
    And i got a 90 amp flux welder for like 95$ and used it to weld ladder racks for my trailer.
    It might be handy for you to pick one up and learn to weld?

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Tractor Supply sells the boxes for trailers cheap, but I think I would buy a small welder first and have another tool on hand.

6. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a lot of work that goes into a Landscape cage. I bought one from my local lawn shop for $275. I had my welder attach it to some plates and then bolted it to the trailer so when I want to go to a larger trailer or sale it can be removed.If you are just wanting a storage box for the front of your trailer TSC sales all types and sizes.Some people around here use truck bed boxes on there trailer.

7. Chilehead

I agree, I need to learn how to weld (and I want to also). People have told me that stick and arc welding is easy as pie. MIG and TIG takes some more practice from what I hear.

8. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

Mig is control and Tig is a pure art form..

9. Chilehead

I'd really like to learn TIG. I am an avid cyclist, and would love to build my own high-end steel frame out of something like Columbus' Foco, or Reynold's 853 tubing. Then again, my dream frame would not be welded--it would be lugged.