Homemade Trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DaveRave07, Jul 17, 2005.

1. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Anybody use or have experience building a homemade trailer? It is an idea I have thought about as I look to get into the business hopefully next season. My only real sticking point that I need some information on it the axle and wheels. That is how much and where I would be able to get them. Thanks for the info.

2. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

Try www.northerntool.com they have about anything you could want or need when building your own trailer :) I would get their free catalog while on their website too.

3. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I have re-worked a few trailers. Even here in Canada where thay are a bit more expensive than in the US, we are better off to buy new. Building one off is time consuming. Focus on what you do, make money on it and pay someone that builds trailers.

4. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Check around to new Manufactured houses that have been just put up. Alot of the company's Unbolt the spring hangers and remove the whole assembly and leave it their with the new owner. They may give them away to just get the thing's out of their hair

5. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I'm building a 6.5x12 right now. Welded the crossmembers and leaf spring hangers today.

Not sure what trailer go for in your area but there's no way I am saving money. I'm just doing for the heck of it and like to do things myself.

I bought a single axle kit w/o brakes, but I did get the rims and tires - $420 shipped. Bought the metal, 2x2 and 2x4 sq. tube last week - $405. That doesn't include the expanded metal for the gate and will likely need more 2x2 for the gate frame. Also doesn't include the floor boards which I priced at Lowes today - $135 for treated, $90 not treated and about $10 for some Thompson Water Seal which I'll probally use.

When it's all added up I'm guessing around $1100 to build myself. I was qouted $975 for a 6x12 from a local trailer builder but that was using angle iron not tube.

You can do a google search for utility trailer parts and find what you'll need.

Have fun and good luck!
    rb

6. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT B4 YOU BUILD YOUR OWN
    HOW GOOD IS YOUR WELDING ?
    ARE YOU A GOOD MECHANIC ?
    WHAT ARE ALL THE COSTS ?
    DO YOU HAVE THE TIME TO DO IT ?

WHAT IS ITS TRUE WEIGHT CAPACITY AND IS IT ENGINEEERED CORRECTLY ?

NUMBER ONE THING TO THINK ABOUT.........IF THIS SUCKER COMES APART ON THE ROAD WILL MY INSURANCE COVER IT AND WHY DID I RISK EVERYTHING TO MAYBE SAVE A FEW HUNDRED BUCKS? payup

7. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

GOTTA PAY TO PAY TO PLAY............BUY CHEAP AND YOU MIGHT FIND YOUR A** ON THE BENCH. :rolleyes: