1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Homeowner 36" Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dzd9fy, Apr 11, 2005.

1. dzd9fy

dzd9fy LawnSite Member

Looking at the various 36" walk behinds that are out there, and have to admit to a combination of not knowing exactly what to look for, but also establishments that obviously cater to the commerical crew and do not want to spend the time with me.

When I tell them gear drive they almost run away. When I ask the differences, the normal response is "for a homeowner not a heck of a lot". When I ask quality of cut, ease of mulching, cost of ownership it is all the same story. Best I could get out of most places is to pick my color of choice!

So here is what I plan to look at:
    - Exmark
    - Scag
    - Ferris
    - Yazoo
    - Toro/ John Deere

What is the real difference and benefit of one over another? Also what do I look at real hard if I decide to look at used equipment? And is there anywhere special to look for used? Thanks
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

For a homeowner I would take a good look at the "better quick 36" mower. Better quick is a sponsor here at lawnsite and there web site can be found on the main page of Lawnsite. It's a single Hydro, meaning it has a hydro drive system but only drives one wheel rather than both, so turning is still done manually.

It's a pretty good deal for a homeowner looking for something more productive than the average joe............

Do a search here at lawnsite and you wil find some threads from owners and their comments.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Better Quick 36 over gear drive
  4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

John, Just out of courisity, why the quick 36 over a belt? Don't think I want to turn anything manually. Will the quick pull a selky? If so hopping off at every turn sounds like a pain. As far as choosing between the mentioned brands I am fimiliar with exmark, toro, deere, and scag. All would do the job for a home owner. Everyone has there preference. I myself like the exmark for the tri advange deck and the ecs controls. If the dealers do not want to spend the time with you than maybe it is time to find other dealers. Also might want to check and see if there is a Lesco dealer nearby. Know that they are having a spring sale right now.

Happy Shopping
  5. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

If you have a Bobcat dealer nearby, I would check into the "Classic" line. They are spec'd pretty nicely, with electric start standard for around $2149+tax. I have the next step up in a Bobcat, the Midsize 36", and love it. Have you ever used a belt drive walk behind before? They have a steep learning curve for someone who would only be using it once or twice per week. For residential use, you may want to consider a small ztr such as Gravely@home, Snapper FastCut. They run anywhere from 3250-4250.
  6. dzd9fy

dzd9fy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, there is a Lesco nearby [Troy, MI] and it looks like Bobcat is also nearby.

The more I dig into this the more complicated it becomes. I have had the range of dealers not wanting to talk to me as a homeowner, to saying all their commercial units are the same, to one place today trying to talk me out of Exmark and into Simplicity [he sells both]. His theory was the "near commercial" actually finish cut better, are better with hydro, and that a Kaw is overkill for a motor used once a week. Have to admit my Little Wonder has a Briggs and I have been happy with that.

The single hydro sounds confusing, did not realize there would be such difficulty with dual belt.

What brads to consider that are not junk but not full commercial, other than Lesco or Bobcat? Where does Simplicity rate? Snapper? Jacobsen? Toro? John Deere??
  7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

you really don't have to turn it "manually" your role in the turnning should only be a "guiding" one. if you have do anything more than "guide" the mower, your not turning correctly.
  9. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am LawnSite Member

I had similar needs and questions, and ended up seriously looking at the Quick36 and the Exmark metro 36.

I went with a used Exmark Metro 36 with the Kohler. It was advertised from another member here on the marketplace. I did not deal with a dealer. I dealt with the member, who was local, a pro, and very nice. He showed me how to use the mower, and I have not had any problems with it at all. If I need repairs, I have the local dealer to provide that, something that you do not get with the Q36. For me, gear drive and fixed deck works just fine. Mulches like a madman. My Son has named the mower 'Killer'. I spend less time mowing now, a bit more time trimming with the string trimmer than I used to, but overall, I have cut my time spent on the lawn from 90 minutes or more to 33 minutes total. And the quality of cut is beautiful. On another note, I used to mow every 5th day if I wanted to mulch with my Snapper 21. If I waited longer, the mulching left clumps and often required two passes. Now I can mow at 7 day intervals with no problems of grass clumping or clogging at all.

I don't mean any disrespect to Gary and the Q36. I think it looks like a wonderful homeowner machine, but it just worked out better for me that I got a good local deal on the Exmark.

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Did you ck out the toros at Billing's Feed in Royal oak?