HomeOwner Associations !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mudmower, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Mudmower

Mudmower LawnSite Member

This may be in the wrong place, if so, Mods please move.

What are people on HOA boards smoking :cry: ??? Got a call that the city was going to fine a local HOA for not maintaining their Detention Ponds (not really ponds, more like ditches). Current company was not living up to stated contract language. Asked me to 1. Clean up the mess so they don't get fined 2. Submit a bid for next year.

Should have ran the other way when they screamed about my bid for fixing the other guys mess. My price was WAY, WAY, less than the $7,000.00 fine they were facing. Then, $3,500.00 per month for every 1st of the month that it was not done. I did the mowing and they paid me.

I bid and was called to the HOA board meeting (only company there). I explained what I would do cost structure, insurance amount, etc. and they (several board members) said I was way to high. I politely said fine, but when you call me in the summer the price will be whatever the fine is or double my per mowing bid.

One lady had the BA!!S to tell me "people who JUST mow, don't deserve that kind of money". Said they paid their association lawyer only a grand more than my bid per year and he "does things for them". I said in return ".....he obviously doesen't mow ditches does he......." and walked out.

I have read of others who have had folks tell them the "lawn guy" charges to much. Since I do only commercial, I had never heard it until the other day. Oh well, come June or July I should be getting a call........and man will it be profitable :cool:

Jim

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

EXACTLY why I don't do HOA period. PITAS plus they have too many hands stirring the pot and the leadership changes yearly. When they call I nicely tell them I am not accepting any new commercial clients.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'll second Mike's sentiments...calling them a PITA is a compliment IMO.

4. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

hey send them my way I can tick most anyone in this area.
    seriously I have 2 and they are pretty good, one has just gone to a managment group so that is AWESOME for me and the other I have 3 board members that i mow full time so I am lucky.

5. Mudmower

Mudmower LawnSite Member

I agree with you guys to a point. My experience with them (HOA's) has been positive for the 5 years I have been doing this. I have bid and lost many, many jobs. As you guys know, It's part of the business.

If they didn't like my bid, why ask me to come and explain it? If it's too high, simply say ".......sorry we chose to go with someone else" or ".....it's more than we are willing to pay..". That can be done over the phone, email, snail mail etc. Like Lawnsbyjr, I work thru management companies 100% of the time. They contact companies to bid and turn it over to the Board to approve or deny. In this area, the Management company will be the one dealing with the City about the fine. Let them get fined again, and I believe my phone will be ringing.

They wanted to get me at the meeting and try to wear me down. I wouldn't play their game. Now they have no one to do the maintenance (I assume this since I was the only contractor at the meeting) and boy is it gonna hurt when they do need me.....:cool:

Jim

6. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

All HOAs are a pain in the butt!! They all have people in them that don't know a damn thing about nothing!! If they get fined and they need it done so bad then they should be willing to pay whatever for the first time just to get it done so they can avoid the fine. I would give them a bid to do it now and then a lower one for next year. If they don't like either one tell them to go F@#k themselves for not taking care of this earlier in the season. I mow all my ditches regardless! If there are any retention ponds then I state in the contract wether they want them done or not, but I will always include something about them in my proposals or bids.:cool:

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Oh that just burns my ass to hear things like that. Ok...I don't have a problem with someone telling me I too high, but that "lawyer" remark is what burns my ass. People have no clue what kind of expenses are encountered in running a business and until they do remarks like that should be kept to themselves. When people shoot me down on a $60 minumum charge for whatever service, I just can't help to think of the appliance repairman that comes to your house and charges $60 just to tell you the job is going to cost $350!!!

8. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Walker-Talker, Thats a big 10-4!!! People that don't realize the costs of doing these things shouldn't speak their mind until asked! When you get called in to mow something thats as high as you are tall, who knows whats hiding in there to bend a blade or do some other damage to your mower.:cool:

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

some are very good to work with....
    we have overal good evperiences with them..

it all depends on thier objective...
    if it is to pinch pennies than they are pitas... if it is to have a nice area and wisely spend money then they are great...

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Had something similar happen to me at a Condo Association. I've been plowing their place for two years. Was doing a very good job, according to them, not me. Last year I handed them the 04/05 contract and they said someone else came in significantly lower than I did. I asked how much...he was 150 lower than me per storm increment and he included salting. Forget it he was at least 1/2 of what I was charging. I said, 'see ya'.

Drove by a few times after storms last year and what a scammer this guy was. He only plowed two passes down the entranceway to the assocations buildings, didn't plow the parking spaces, just the areas leading up to them. What a joke, hey you get what you pay for...

Anyhow, this year I hand them another proposal (per their request) and I said sign by such and such a date or price will go up. I get a call after the first storm this year asking if I could come salt cause there guy didn't show up. I said only way I'm doing it is signing the contract sent to you. Okay we still have that copy we'll sign it. I said, "Well, if you read the proposal it states contract valid to date X and it is after date X." I increased their price by 100-150 per visit. They signed. payup payup payup