Homeowner damaged pavers and want me to fix it.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by shovelracer, Oct 19, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Title says it all. 2 years ago we redid a landing and walkway for a client I have. We use poly and then sealed it on top of that a month later. It has been flawless since, in fact it was still good on friday cause I stopped for a second while there to admire it. I called him today to talk about some work we are going to do tomorrow and he said that the poly is coming up and the sealer is gone. Funny cause it wasnt 3 days ago. Im guessing he took his commercial grade pressure washer to it and somehow damaged it. I told him I would look at it, but I know this guy well enough to know that he will expect me to repair it under warranty even though he most likely damaged it. How do you deal with this, cause if he really did damage it he wont admit to it outright, and would also be offended if I asked unless it is brutally obvious.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Honesty is the only way to operate.

3. shovelracer

I agree, when he pulls this it annoys me anyways. Not the first thing he has messed with and expected us to repair. I guess the question is should it be able to withstand a high powered washing without an issue like this? If it is my fault then I have no problem repairing it.

4. shovelracer

Heres some pics. The corner appears to be holding water. Things I noticed are corner limestone tread popped ( not my install ). Sand was moist in said area, but it hasnt rained at this location in a while. The limestone was scuffed all around as if it was brushed with a very stiff brush maybe wire. It is installed on a pad that has expansion joint around the perimeter. Pad is below the tread. Weep holes are on the side. So what do you think.

landing 001.jpg

landing 002.jpg

landing 003.jpg

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

In my opinion, one should only pressure wash pavers when they're prepared to re-sand the joints.

The joints are grouted with sand....not mortar. Everything has it's breaking point!

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

just ask him is it was power washed if no
    ask him is he took a huge leak on it?
    :drinkup:

7. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask him when it started to happen and what he think could have caused it. He'll make up some BS you can see right through then confront him.

8. ralphie boy

ralphie boy LawnSite Member

I would look to see if anything looked like it was resently pressure washed,if so that would answer what happened to the pavers.

9. shovelracer

The wood entry was definitely painted this past weekend, not a spec of dirt or cobweb, nothing. Perfect white paint.

10. ralphie boy

ralphie boy LawnSite Member

pressurewasher works great to remove peeling paint.I think I smell a rat.