1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Homeowner KILLED while mowing!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Sep 7, 2001.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

While reading the paper at work this morning there was a picture and a story about a 55 year old guy in southern Wisconsin that was killed while mowing the lawn. The picture showed an Exmark Lazer Z sitting upright in a water filled drainage ditch. Apparently the man rolled the Z down a steep bank and was pinned face down under water. The coroners report showed that he died of crush injuries and did not drown. Sad story is even more tragic as his wife is an EMT and was just beginning to teach a CPR class when she got the page at her address. The article stated that 4 people had to help turn the Z upright.

I know this wasn't an LCO and I certainly mean no bad press toward Exmark, it happened to be the mower he had but it does show that things can go rotten real quick. No matter how many times you may do something, the next time might be your last. Just be safe.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This goes to show you how dangerous our equipment is. When in doubt, use a w/b or string trimmer.
  3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Your right about that one Eric. Today i was cutting one of those big hilly lawns i have a i tried to see how much i could use my Z=Master on because i usually always use my 52"walkbehind these hills are right at 45degrees and i got on the south side of the house and was mowing up and then backing down,i noticed my front wheels where still makeing contact with the ground untill i went up towards the very top and they came up 6-plus inches off the ground my engine cage touched the turf. So i quit right then and went to the Walkbehind it was silly for me to even try and take that chance,never again if in doubt as you said use the right equipment. Marks Mowing Service ps and stay safe
  4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

whoo, i bet you freaked out!
  5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Eric is so right,the ZTR is very fastmbut they do have their limitations,and once they go down,they keep going,and are hard to stop.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You mean my Lazer will not float???

That is the reason I don't let anyone else on the Lazer. They use a w/b or trimmer.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

ed--thanks for the post.

very morbid.

time to think.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We do not hear so much about the death associated by a Z. What we do hear alot about is injuries/death associated with lightning because people are trying to finish that one last lawn before calling it quits due to rain.

We can pretty much watch the fronts roll across the hills here, and when it gets close - THATS IT! The day is done. better to be able to catch up tomorrow, than not to have that option at all.

Just my .02
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

mark i would suggest wts for the front of your z ,but 45 is
    about my max,if that steep.
  10. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

We had a residental owner roll a Snapper ZTR over an embankment and cut off 3 of her fingers, half of a brest and sliced up her chest and stomach real bad. They Lifelined her by helicopter to Indy and is expected to be hopitlized for about 3-5 weeks. Be careful out there everyone, this is a very dangerous proffesion. Keep Safe.