Homeowner Mower Help Please

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Mike75, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Mike75

Mike75 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

What is the best riding mower, or at least brand for a homeowner? Quality of cut is my number one priority. It must be under $2000. I understand this forum caters to professionals, but I can't imagine better people to ask. I hope you can help me. Thank you.

2. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

does it have to be new?

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Are you looking for a zero turn or tractor type? Possibly a stand on type. Give us some more info and someone will steer you in the right direction.

4. Mike75

Mike75 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Yes, it must be new and it may be a zero turn, but I would imagine that would be too expensive to get a quality machine. It is fine if it is the traditional tractor style. Thanks guys!

5. Heatman

Heatman LawnSite Member

6. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

I'll second that, my mother has one and I used it to cut her yard for years. The only thing you need to watch out for is high roots or stumps. The wheel mounts bend pretty easy if you slam into something solid. I can bend them back by hand, so chances are you can to, but if you bend one bad enough you might cut your lawn lopsided before you realize how bad it actually is. All around good lawn tractor.

7. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

The May, 2008 edition of Consumer Reports has rated some lawn tractors, and a few of the "Best Buys" are under $2,000. My personal opinion is that I favor commercial mowers and would not rely on Consumer Reports experts for a lawn-machine recommendation. But you may feel differently, so it might be to your advantage to look.

8. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

9. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I second that about not trusting Consummer Report on specialty things. I only look at them for common house hold items, auto and appliances which are either reliable or not. They don't have the experty to judge. I learn my leason more than ones!! Their suggestion on SLR camera, video equipments and TV were bad. This is from one that made the mistakes listening to them and is an electronic engineer and photographer.

Stay with CR only when you buy cars and appliances.:waving:

10. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a great choice. I used a similar style tractor rider for 6 years to cut my lawn with before the comm stuff. It was a craftsman 22hp B&S engine,
    42". It did fine and is within your price range. Still runs fine to this day. Just keep the maintenance up on it and you'll be fine.