Homeowner Needs help.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Rogaine, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Rogaine

Rogaine LawnSite Member

OK. Not sure if this is the right place but I have been reading this forum for a while and love the friendly "banter". I was wondering if someone could help me try to trouble shoot something.

I had a local irrigation company design my system and they assisted me with installing everything. I did all of the labor as far as installing the heads and valves, etc... Worked great last year and is even working fine this year as well, however there is one issue.

Randomly....a zone will just pop on for a split second and shut off. It has happened to pretty much all of my zones. It will do it for a while and then not for a week or so. Then start again. Tonight is one of the nights where it started again. It happens to be like zone 7 tonight where last time it was zone 14.

I have a Hunter Pro-C controller and all Hunter heads. 14 zones total.

Anyone? What other info might be needed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Do us a favor, and telephone Hunter's cusomer assistance, and see what they say. We have a thread or two on this same clock, and it would be informative to learn what they tell a homeowner who takes the question straight to the source.

3. Ditto.... If this isn't a screaming avoid HUNTER PRO C sign I don't know what is. 2nd or third thread on this same issue.

4. Rogaine

Rogaine LawnSite Member

You guys are totally fast.

I'll give Hunter a call tomorrow and see what they say. Then post the results.

Otherwise I'll be calling the irrigation company to see if they can assist also. It still works, but those zones going off periodically kind of scare me. I dont want to be mowing and get watered down. Although.....it might cool me off some and provide some entertainment of trying to avoid the spray. :)

Worst case scenario.....Any suggestions on replacement if need be?

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Weathermatic Smartline - Product Number: #SL1600.

Find them at any irrigation supply house

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im having this happen to 1 out of over 400 installed. .25% failure rate is still better then any other clock Ive used in the past.

7. Good point. I guess the World Wide Web can cause a problem to be overstated.

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

One the only one I have had a problem with, I traced the problem to an incorrect wiring.
    The previous irrigation company legged off of a single pole from a 230 volt power supply then wired the common and neutral together on the grounding post in the box.
    When I tested the controller I was registering a residual current of up to 80 volts but very little amperage.
    What I surmise was happening was the solenoids were acting as a storage cell for this residual current and when the volt reached a sufficient amount that particular valve "popped" open. Ran only long enough for the residual volt/amperage charge to exhaust in the solenoid.
    Out of a twenty four valve controller I ended up replacing nine solenoids plus obviously wiring the controller correctly to a separate 115 volt breaker.
    What I couldn't immediately explain is why only certain valves were opening/effected and others were not. All were different distances from the controller, there was no sequential cycling at all.

9. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Another argument for the WM SL1600 with its dual-voltage transformer.

I LOVE that pulling off one leg and tying neutral and ground together - just the way the electrical inspectors like it, too.