1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Homeowner Newbie

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by bcalvary, Oct 3, 2002.

1. bcalvary

bcalvary LawnSite Member

I have a new home with approx 1/2 acre of lawn. My Honda 21" is 14 years old and has seen better days. I'm also 51 years old and I have seen better days myself :) but I want a lawnmower that will mulch, quality made, and do the lawn quickly with as little maintenance as possible.
    I have flower beds all the way around our home and 3 small trees in the yard. My question is what lawnmower do you recommend? I would love to get another Honda HR216 but I think a larger deck would make mowing faster.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the question.

As you move up in cutting width and away from the 21" machines you're going to find that the machines become a little more complex and have a few more components. Technically you'll probably find that they require more maintenance or adjustments than you have with your 21" machine. What we've done however is make all adjustments and maintenance as simple and infrequent as possible. What you'll find is that the most complicated part of maintaining many of our mowers is removing the blades and sharpening them. It's all simple stuff and you don't need a degree in mechanical engineering to maintain our products.

YouÂ’re probably going to be looking at the Metro family of Exmark mowers. These are what we would consider our entry machines. Most commercial cutters will start out here and move up as their business grows. It's also our most popular model walk behind for homeowners.

The Metro family offers cutting widths between 32" and 48" with engine options of Kohler and Kawasaki depending upon the model. As with most products the smaller the cutting width the lower the price making the 32" the entry machine. Personally however for the difference in price I would jump up to the 36".

The 36" Metro offers a couple of things that I feel are beneficial. First, you get wider drive tires and "double wide" drive belts for the drive wheels. The biggest advantage for the 36" unit however is the ECS controls. The pistol grips are standard on the 32" and available on the 36" as well but you can not get the ECS controls on the 32". My personal preference would be for ECS controls. For me they are easier on my hands, protect them better and I get much less fatigue. Truthfully you'll need to visit your Exmark dealer and compare the two designs for yourself.

You also mentioned you prefer mulching. I am a big fan of mulching myself. I ran a 32" for several years on my own lawn with the mulch kit. The mulch kit is one of the benefits to the Exmark design. Most mowers above 22" utilize a two or three blade cutting deck. Many manufacturers will simply put a block off plate over the discharge chute and refer to it as a mulching kit. In our opinion this doesn't work very well because it allows all of the clippings to migrate or transfer to the discharge side where they meet up with the block off plate. At that point the majority of the clippings can then fall to the turf and leave a long line of clippings. These clippings eventually turn brown and leave the lawn looking "wind rowed". With our system we use a set of baffles that enclose each blade into it's own chamber and prevent them from working their way to the discharge side of the mower. By utilizing the individual baffles we convert the deck from one large mulching deck to two or 3 very small mulching decks working together. This system also allows us to deposit the clippings deeper into the turf which helps them break down faster becoming useful material for the lawn.

If you do a search in both the Exmark and Commercial forums on lawnsite under mulching I'm sure you'll find a great deal of useful information.

Please feel free to post any further questions you have here or you can also e-mail me at terry.ecker@exmark.com or call me at 800-667-5296.

3. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan LawnSite Member

bccalvary, I purchased my first exmark this year (TTHP48) and must say that it is the BEST mower I have ever owned. The quality, cut and service are second to none. Exmark provides excellent customer service, something that seems to be lost in most industries at this time.

I'll always have an exmark mower (hopefully two or three next year) on my trailer. Plan on getting a LazerZ next spring.

If you have any other questions regarding the exmark products, please feel free to post anytime.
  4. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

Terry -

I just have to commend you on your response to bcalvary above. That response, which THOROUGHLY answered his questions, is typical of the Exmark support I've seen in this forum. I recently purchased a Laser HP and have been following the Exmark posts lately. I'm sure many other manuf sites would have given just a quick one sentence reply, if any reply at all.

Keep up the good work!
  5. Wendell

Wendell LawnSite Member

I was in the same situation except I've got two more years on you. I'm a homeowner with the same size lot and I went with the 36" Metro HP and have never regretted the purchase. I chose the HP over the Metro because it's much easier to change mowing height and remove the blades with the HP. That information I picked up reading posts in this forum.
    My neighbor picked up a new Gravley for a grand less, but after mowing with both of them I prefer mine to his and would make the same purchase again.