1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Homeowner question-walk behind or zero turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 79_Limited, Mar 23, 2008.

1. 79_Limited

79_Limited LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Sorry if I am intruding but I could not find a good lawn maintenance site forum for homeowners as good as this one.

My dilemma: Should I purchase a good walk behind mower or a Toro Timecutter zero turn?

I have about 1/2 acre (give or take a little ) of Bermuda grass. 90% of the lawn is level with a few but not many obstacles to maneuver. I have a 1 year old Craftsman rear propelled bagger that could barely get the job done last season. It was almost useless on bagging because it would fill after one or two strip cuts.

The Toro Timecutter would cut my yard in no time but man is it expensive for my needs. Is there a walk behind on the market where I could get away with minimal bagging but still maintain a healthy look?

Thanks for the input.
  2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

If you using the Toro for only your house, it will last for years...
  3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Stop bagging! Keep the bermuda cut short - as low as you can cut now and no more than 2" max in the summer - and cut it weekly.

Commercial walk behinds are as much or more $ as the Toro Timecutter (the Timecutter is not commercial). The smallest belt driven commercial WB start at around $2200, and are lot more work to use. The smallest commercial Zero Turns start at around $4,000. And these are the very lowest ends of the price scales.

Personally, I'd suggest just getting your blades sharpened and balanced, and stick with your Craftsman. Just mow it low and often. And there is homeowner section on this forum.
  4. 79_Limited

79_Limited LawnSite Member

Thanks so much for the help.

If I do not bag will I be forced to rake the clippings that were discharged? If so I am going with the Toro.

Sorry for the stupidity. This is my first lawn with Bermuda. My prior lawns were fescue and not near as hard to cut as this.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On southern grasses you can put mulch kit with discharge blocked and make everything disappear. Y0u may have to double cut but since you are doing your own that should not be a big problem. If it is open area I would get a belt drive unit like a scag or Toro in a 36" size, not very costly. If money is no problem step up to a dual hydro unit it will pull and turn better.