Homeowner Searching for Used ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jdknox, Jan 13, 2004.

1. jdknox

jdknox LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I've got an 1.5 acre lot and I'm searching for a used ZTR mower.

Thus far, I have found the following in my area:

1. 2 year old Toro Timecutter ZX 44" with 16hp B&S ($2,400)
    2. 4 year old eXmark HP 48" 18hp Kohler with 797 hours ($3,950)
    3. 4 year old Encore 60" 22hp Kawaski with 397 hours ($3,500)
    4. 2 year old MTD 60" 23hp Kohler with 280 hours ($3,800)

I'm attempting to stay below $4,000 and I'll probably only put 50 hours on the mower per year so the high hours on a solid mower doesn't scare me as long as it has been taken care of.

After reading several archived posts, I've concluded most people (commercial) don't think a lot of Encore or MTD. However, would you advise against an Encore with low hours for someone like myself who want be putting significant stress or strain on the mower on a daily basis?

And would you, if in my situation, buy a 500 to 800 hour commercial mower in this price range versus the Timecutter or a Cub Cadet? Thanks in advance for any advice. JD
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I had rather have a commercial machine with a few hours on it than a non-commercial machine anyday. 500-800 hrs. is not much if it has been well maintained. If you were willing to spend a little more I have a Walker with a GHS deck and a discharge deck I am trying to sell. Only has 400 hrs.
  3. icatcher

icatcher LawnSite Member

Chrck out the Hustler Fasttrak..
    Prices here..

These are MSRP's. Dealer prices should be a good deal cheaper..
    You will beclose to $4k, maybe a little more maybe a little less but you'll be getting a new machine that is built to last..

I own a Super Mini Z.. best machine Ihave used/owned and the cut andsupport are 2nd to none..

4. jdknox

jdknox LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Thanks for the help. I'm really looking for a riding ZTR. I am leaning toward the commercial side. The Hustler is a great recommendation and I'll try to check one out in my area.
  5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

In your situation, the Encore, heck most any machine, might be just fine if it has been maintained.

Also to think about... Even with only 50 hrs per year, the machines are going to need good maintenance, are you able to do this yourself? You may want to talk to a local dealer, to see if they can get parts and/or do the maintenance on your potential machine for you.
  6. Eagle3Fan

Eagle3Fan LawnSite Member

I bought a 2002 model Exmark HP with 490 hours yesterday. It's the 44"/17 Kaw model. I think your prices are in line with what I found here. I bought it from an individual through a dealer for $3500. The contractor was using the money to buy new stuff from the dealer so I got a lot of help. The dealer did a complete service and showed me all the service records on the machine. They even put it up on a fork lift and let me look under the deck.

I think a well maintained true commercial model with 500-800 hours can be a real bargain for a home owner. I would suggest getting a dealer to check the machine over and give it a clean bill of health. If your like me, I didn't know what a well maintained machine looked like so I worked with a dealer I trust to help me evaluate the condition of the machine.
  7. jdknox

jdknox LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Great advice. I certainly don't want to underestimate the ongoing maintenance issue both from a dealer relationship and overall maintenance schedule standpoint.

I have been a little concerned about getting "too much" of a mower based on my needs, and then have problems with underuse if that is even possible on some of the commercial mowers. Ideally, I would like to find a mower which should only require minimum maintenance but is a quality mower.

The quality issue has been why I have been leaning toward a used commercial mower but I'm still a bit uncertain about maintenance. And I need major help when it comes to evaluating the condition of a used commercial ZTR mower.

I'm sure this is why the Hustler Mini Z has been almost universally recommended as a great ZTR option for a homeowner.
  8. Eagle3Fan

Eagle3Fan LawnSite Member

As far as new machines go, check out the Exmark CT and the Hustler Fastrack. Both are what I'd call "tweeners". They're a few steps above the typical residential Z's and a slightly beneath a full fledge commercial machines. They're also very similar in price. I think Exmark has a special on the 44" CT right now.

My personal preference of the two is the Exmark. I think it just a little heavier duty and I didn't like the sitting position on the Fastrack.

In the end I decided on the used HP. I saved money and got a machine that should last for several years to come. I do understand your concerns about not knowing what "well maintained in good condition" looks like. If not for a coworker's relationship with an Exmark dealer, I'm not sure I'd have bought this unit.

Good Luck.
  9. deepgrass

deepgrass LawnSite Member

10. deepgrass

deepgrass LawnSite Member

Sorry, the link didn't survive intact. Do a search on ebay for "cub cadet ztr" and look at the z-force.