Homeowner Sprayer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PJDiesel, May 30, 2006.

1. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

I have about 32 Mature Leyland Cypress, 8 White Pines and 3 Blue Spruce I am going to be trying to Spray for BagWorms this year.

Question is with what, and how??:( I have about 25 trees with no infestation last year and the rest have from minimal to moderate bags. I can't really tell if they are a few years old, or active? I pulled a couple down and tore them open to see if I could see anything in there, they were empty (am I ********?)
    I hand harvested hundreds about a month ago. Now then, need to come up with a sprayer that will reach about 20-25 feet and not break the bank.
    Any suggestions on something that will do the trick and make sense for a homeowner to use 2, maybe three times a year to hit the trees and make sure I don't get eaten by these things.......

I'm planing on applying BT twice in the next two to three weeks, then Sevin once or so. Any suggestions on if that is good, or is there a better plan?

2. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Little Bump

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I would just use a back pack sprayer and set the nozzle on stream, you should be able to hit 20 ft. spray them with sevin now and again in 4-6 weeks.

4. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Any specific thoughts on brand, size, where to get one? Approx. how much are they?
    Thanks for the response.

5. indyturf

from Indy

you can get a Solo brand at lowes for around $80

6. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

You arent spraying trees that big with a solo. No way no how.

Get a Fimco 12 volt sprayer, or the lesco 12 volt sprayer at least.

7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

8. indyturf

from Indy

I have no problem spraying 20-25 ft with a solo bp. you can reach 10 ft with the spray wand itself so you only have to spray 10-15ft!

9. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

I took a look at these style sprayers this morning, the reach on the one I looked at was 30 ft. (plus man height, plus arm of course).
    Now that I have had time to think about it, the point is getting to be do I want to pump this thing 900 times to spray all these trees? Answer, NO!
    What I have come up with is this.
    http://www.nationwidewholesaledirect.com/catalog/item/2376068/2638958.htm

It has a better reach and will be easier to operate. The price is a little more than I wanted to spend, but the quote from the "Tree Guy" was $250.00 just for the 18 Cypress on one side of my property. (Additional applications may be needed)

10. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

try northern tool. they have the same sprayer, one even has a tree gun.

for the normal pump, tank and wand i spent $120.