homeowner string trimmer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rb_in_va, May 9, 2006.

1. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

I might be looking to get a string trimmer soon. I only have a 1/3 acre lot so I don't need the macdaddy trimmer, but I want something that works well. I figure it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes/week to do what I need to do. Thanks, Roger.

2. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I bought the Echo 210 last year from a dealer up the street. Lots-o-umpf for a homeowner unit. They are now running around 200.00 bucks.

Support your local dealers.....

3. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Also, what is the advantage of the straight shaft trimmers? Is it a factor for a homeowner? It seems to me that the curved shaft trimmers are lighter and better balanced.

4. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Reach and comfort. Straight shafts can be nearly a foot longer than curved shafts, so you won't be bent over doing your trimming. Most of the better straight shafts also use a gear box at the cutting end (direct drive for the curved shafts), which adds torque. Many straight shafts are also blade capable, while curved shafts are not.

5. burroughslawnservice

burroughslawnservice LawnSite Member

I've had my ECHO SRM-2100 for eight years. Two weeks ago I upgraded to the SRM-261T. My neighbor is buying my old one for $50.00. He knows it works well since he uses it more than I do. Only thing I've had to do is replace spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter. That's it. I definetly would recommend getting an ECHO product.

6. fishinpa

from SE PA

I want to go to the 260 series because I have a project (LARGE area of thick ivy) I need to tackle. I went up to the dealer the other day to buy the blade kit and he recommended I NOT use with the srm-210 I currently have. He said the engine on the 260 series (possibly the head?) has a few more bolts making it stronger and it has a much heavier duty clutch.

I paid about $210.00 last year for the srm-210 and have not had 1 lick of problem with it. This thing runs like a champ and starts on the third pull ever time.... when it's cold. (1st pull/ warm)

Do you think asking $150.00 for the srm-210 is a fair price? I'm thinking of putting over in the "marketplace". I hate getting rid of it because the dang think is only like 10.5lbs and runs like a b!tch in-heat. I have a feeling the 260 series is going to be much heavier for everyday use after I finish with the ivy.

PS: Homeowner use only!

7. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

fishinpa....

Only a couple of ounces difference in your 210 and the 260 series....weight shouldn't be a concern.

Your ivy job.....is it a ground cover type ivy? If so, I wouldn't have any qualms about putting an 8 tooth blade on your 210 and going at it (with safety harness), as long as it's not too "woody". Echo, in fact sells a brushcutter version of the 210, which includes that blade, if I'm not mistaken, so the engine is capable, as long as what your cutting isn't too "solid". The limit involves the drive cable on the the 210 vs. a drive shaft on the 260 series.

As far as $150 for your 210? I think you might be a bit ambitious. If given the opportunity to buy your year old one for $150, or a new one for $200, I'd buy new, but that's just me.

8. fishinpa

from SE PA

Thanks for the input, I was wonderin'.

Some of the ivy is 3/4 in thick man, this stuff has ben there for YEARS. PS: I think the cable on the 210 is warranted for life... I'll have to look into that.

Thanks again!

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I love my Echo..it takes punishment and they are pretty much problem free.

10. burroughslawnservice

burroughslawnservice LawnSite Member

The drive shaft on the SRM-260S is solid steel, the drive shaft on the SRM-261T is cable. Check it out for yourself: www.echo-usa.com

The difference in weight between the 21.?cc and 25.? cc engine is only several ounces.