Homeowner Striping

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Dirty Water, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Heya,

First off, I'm not a LCO, I do irrigation installs, so please be nice to me :)

I have an acre and a half of my own, and I mow it with a 21" Murray ($200 homeowner mower) and a 42" Husqvarna rider (same thing, homeowner).

Anyways, I like to mow my front yard completely by hand because I can give it nice diagonial cut lines, but I was wondering if theres any way I could make it have a striped look with a homeowner mower?

Maybe adjusting the deck height settings?

Thanks for being nice to a non mower :)

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Set the two back wheels a notch higher than the front so the blade will be angled down a little in the front.

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi,make A Pass All The Way Around With Your Rider.the Start Your Diagnial Cutting When You Get To The First Pass You Made All The Way Around Then Turn Around ,back Up, Then Go Back The Opposite Way Right Beside The Cut You Just Made.i May Take A While To Get Used To But It Is Still Faster Than Using A 22" Amd Less Tiring.

4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

they do make roller stripers for 21'' mowers if you wanted that

5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

make sure you have a high lift deck. start there first. then don't cut the grass too short. this should do the trick. if not, add a semi-stiff rubber flap between the two back wheels.

don't raise the back one notch higher as suggested unless you like a lawn that looks like it just got a mohawk haircut.

6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

7. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

i belive that over time that would cause a problem with compaction. thus hurting the root zone

8. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

9. dantis

dantis LawnSite Member

I've used the Lawn Striper for the 21" mower. Does a nice job, gives it the "ballpark" look..However, it is filled with sand and pushing that extra weight around isn't much fun....I'm getting rid of it if you are interested..I bought a Husquy 42; rider...