Homeowner trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine GT20, Apr 10, 2006.

1. GreenMachine GT20

GreenMachine GT20 LawnSite Member

Why can not Homelite, Weed Eater, and Craftsman step up to the plate and compete with Echo and Redmax? Also, why does everyone think Weed Eater is this best brand if it really isn't? That is confusing to me.

2. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

Simple Economics

Who is everyone?

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Why would they want to? They are catering to the homeowner for the most part. A homeowner will more than likely buy one of those brands for trimming that they will do 4 times a month, rather than spend more money on a commercial trimmer. So if Homelite were to try to compete with Echo, they would have to raise their price too which would leave the homeowner then including the Echo, Redmax, etc into their buying decision.

4. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a homlite trimmer and its ok but i had to get a roybi commercial brand. i hope i dont have to use the homlite agaon but we srill have it for a back up.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

You may see people calling trimmers "weedeaters" as a generic name for a trimmer, hopefully everyone doesn't think that weedeater (the brand) is the best, oh wait, i don't so thats not everybody!!! If those companys tried to step up, they would have a hard time getting their reputaion up as a commercial company after all the years of homeowner stuff, just my .02

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

7. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Im on my second homelite, had the last one for 2 years and it was awesome, but the pull starter teeth were plastic and finally wore down enough that it wont start up anymore, the new one has alot more power, but the head spins the wrong way (compared to the old one) and it throws everything up into my face. But I sat at the store trying to decide between echo and homelite, the echo was 160 and homelite was 80, I went with the homelite cause I can afford to replace a 80 trimmer every two years that runs perfectly for the 2 years, the echo was like the smallest one they had and It honestly looked alot cheaper made then the new homelite. But the new one sounds soo nice Ill rev up all the time cause I like to hear it howl:weightlifter:

8. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

well i got a 69.00 Craftsman and been useing it 3 times a week for 5 years now.but i am going to get a new one one day.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Okay, that's one year's worth of usage for me depending on how hard and for how long you use the Craftsman. Considering the usage it's probably more like 3 or 4 months but I'll give you a year. Now use that Craftsman for 20 to 25 years and that's how long I use my commercial trimmers before they're retired or sold to a neighbor. I sold a Shindaiwa T-230 to a neighbor back in 2000 that I had used for 4 years. He is still using it and he often cuts his grass twice a week.