homeowner watering with city water

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by greengrassisgreen, Apr 2, 2008.

1. greengrassisgreen

greengrassisgreen LawnSite Member

Just wondering what you guys thought. would watering with city water harm an organic program? If i brew ct with clean/non chlorinated water and the customer drenches his/her lawn once or twice a week with their city water. Will that kill the benefits of the tea/organic program ?​

2. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

I have been wondering the effects myself....

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

It does not seem to but I don't have any data to support an opinion either way
    Chlorine is supposedly gassed off pretty easily be the act of spraying, chloramines on the other hand would not be. Let me ask around and see if anyone has some solid data on it

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Generally speaking I would say it won't have a big impact, assuming your managing your water inputs correctly. There are concerns as Bill pointed out, but is there a viable alternative water source if you find the city water to be of poor quality?

5. greengrassisgreen

greengrassisgreen LawnSite Member

chlorine dioxide and chlorides is what the water dpt told me. City water is all some customers have......

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Then city water it is. Don't worry about it too much and don't over water. If your really concerned about possible damage then you will need to monitor your soil biology. If you note a large impact on populations due to your irrigation water, then you may want to apply CT more frequently to mitigate the damage.

7. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone came up with something....I think about this every time I see a hose running.