1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

homeowner z picks, HELP!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Riddler, May 19, 2004.

1. Riddler

Riddler LawnSite Member

Really like the Exmark Lazer CT, but it may just be out of my price league. What's the lowest price I could expect to get the 18/44 Lazer CT for? Would it be overkill for my 1+ acre? Currently using Husqvarna tractor, but takes forever because I have so much to cut around.

Looked at new Simplicity 18/44 Consumer Z for $3999. It has a Kohler single cylinder. Appeared to be well built. I know they have a good rep too. Anybody seen a better price than this?

Also looking at the Cub Cadet 20/44 for $4,000. It has a Briggs twin cylinder. Don't know a whole lot about Cub Cadet.

Exmark Lazer CT worth the extra?

If Exmark is out of my league, would you go with the Simplicity or Cub Cadet as they are essentially priced the same? Which one has the better motor? Any major advantages to the twin cylinder Briggs over the single cylinder Kohler?
  2. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

Do you have to buy new? I was in your exact situation a couple years back. 1+ acre, $4000 maximum price range, was mowing with lawn tractor and wanted to upgrade to ZTR.

All the consumer level ZTRs (Timecutter, Ariens Zoom, Cub Cadet) seemed to be too cheap of an imitation of a true commercial quality ZTR. I know you get what you pay for, but these residential level machines just didn't seem to have the quality I was looking for. I was just about to go with the Hustler FasTrack (20/52), when I came across a used Exmark Lazer Z HP, 48" with 19 HP Kawasaki. This beauty had only 101 hours on it and ran like a charm. I bought it for $3,600 and have been happy as a pig in poop ever since.

I know many folks think buying used means trouble. If you have a good dealer in your area, check it out. There's a good chance you'll find a higher level machine than you can afford to buy new.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try the simplicity! I here they have a high blade speed.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you are going to spend $4000 on a mower does it really matter if you spend an extra $500?(CT can be had for about $4500)
    I'd stay away from the cub,the hydros are questionable in my mind,deck belts get chewed up............
  5. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

For 1+ acres, you could easily get by with one of Country Clipper's JAZee models. All have heavy duty fabricated decks (that flip-up for easy cleaning), Kohler/Kawi engines (avoid B&S) 19,000 fpm blade tip speed and available single joystick controls. The JAZeeOne starts under $3200. I assumed I would have to go with their fully-commercial (Charger or Zeton) for my rough terrain, until I demoed the 19/48 JAZee. It handled the 3-4' tall section that I had stopped mowing 2 years ago. Definitely encourage you to check out www.countryclipper.com
    Good luck!
  6. Riddler

Riddler LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Amrupp, sounds like you got a heck of a deal. Hadn't really given the used mower a lot of thought, but if I could find something like that I sure would.

John, do you know what the blade speed is on the Simplicity? It doesn't say in the brochure I have or on their website.

dvm.......52, thanks for your opinion. Believe I'll stay away from the Cub. I've seen some other posts to stay away from the Cub/Briggs.

mowhigh, I'll have to check out the country clipper web & see where the closest dealer is.
  7. John Gamba

from ct

8. Riddler

Riddler LawnSite Member

Yeah, it's the one with the springs in front. Went to see my Exmark and Simplicity dealer today. Same dealer for both. Ironically, didn't think to ask him about the blade speed on the Simplicity. They did not have the 44" model in the store. He said he's been waiting for over 7 weeks for them to come in. He said the Simplicity rep was in the store the other day and advised they couldn't make them fast enough to keep up with the current demand. The rep also said Simplicity had no idea they were going to sell so well. Also found out I could probably pick up a demo model 44" Exmark Lazer CT at the end of this season for around $4,700. He said it might have around 60 hours. Is this a good price? And the really big question is- Should I go with the Simplicity for $4,000 or a slightly used Lazer CT for $4,700? Tough decision. The Lazer CT is really a little overkill for my yard, but I would get a more commercial mower with beefier frame and deeper 7 guage deck. Both mowers have the same 18 hp Kohler motor. What do ya'll think?
  9. John Gamba

from ct

The ct Will last longer and cut better. It has the trvantage deck that i have used for years. You can put alot more toys on the ct so you will be the coolest home owner on the block. If the prices are that close go with the ct.
    Have you looked at hustlers line?????

10. RufusR

RufusR LawnSite Member

Facing same decision f/ my 2 acres w/1+ grass yard, ExCT 4818 have a $650 mfg rebate in our area, all Ex dealers have priced $4800-4995....good availability.
    I searched f/ Simplicity ZT, found a handful...
    1844 priced $3800-3995...5020 priced $4400-4599.
    An earlier post indicated the springs were for show on Simplicity consumer ZT, dealers indicate they are less of a shock absorber for better ride than a device for leveling mower in uneven yards.
    Plenty of Snapper Fastcut ZTR available if you do not need springs of striping bar behind deck. Generally $100-200 less than same mower from Simplicity.
    Appears the Simplicity shortage is demand & the Mfr trying to produce the same mower f/ two dealership networks.
    Whatta ya'll think??:rolleyes: