homeowner zero turn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dmik, Mar 24, 2004.

1. dmik

dmik LawnSite Member

Hi, I have 1 acre of St. Augustine grass to cut each week. Do you suppose a "homeowner" zero turn mower is sufficient, or would you spend the extra $$ for a commercial?

Dealers in the area have Toro, Gravely, Snapper, John Deere. I know nothing about either. They recommended the following:

Gravely ZT 2352 (52", 23 HP Kohler) $4250
    Snapper ZT20500BV (50", 20 HP Brigss and Stratton) $4699
    John Deere Z-Trak 717 for $5,995 (44", 19 HP Kawasaki) which is commercial grade.

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

Check out new Simplicity ZTR.... I have seen one the other day at local dealer and what a nice machine it is! Simplicity is parent company of Ferris Ind. which is in commercial mower market pretty big. Commercial quality with homeowner price....$4000 up here in PA

3. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

You might also check out the Hustler FastTrack or the Country Clipper JAZeeTwo (20 hp Kohler twin w/48 or 52" deck). The J2 has a flip-up deck for easy access and a convenient one-handed joystick for steering. Try to stick with Kawasaki, Honda or Kohler engines.
  4. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

The Snapper and the Simplicity are virtually the same mower (Simplicity now owns Snapper).
    I believe they each have 2 models....one model with a 44" deck & 18hp engine for about $4000, and the other model like you've listed which has a 52" deck & 20hp engine for about $4700.
    The Snapper/Simplicity mowers seem to be well-built, with influence from the Ferris commercial division.
    The Briggs engines they are installing are the Vanguard model, which is Brigg's commercial-grade engine.
  5. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Go with a commercial ztr, it will last you a lifetime with the amount of hours you will be putting on it.

Exmark Lazer Z CT or Hustler Mini-Z are great choices.
  6. dmik

dmik LawnSite Member

Thanks you guys!
  7. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

This is exactly what I'm looking at doing. The Simplicity looks real nice ,even if it isn't a "commercial" machine. I think it will last a long time. I only cut approx 8-10 per week so why wouldn't it last a long time. I think the replies from people pushing the commercial stuff are justified if you mow all day every day ,but what if you just want a nice Z for your own property or you are a part time person like myself. It seems like if you don't use one of the high dollar machines that the "pros" use your some kind of "scrub".