Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello and welcome to the board! I am curious and want to ask you what is you absolute top end budget? I think you can do better! I also feel for a few more bucks you could get into a entry level Z, like a BadBoy MZ or Hustler Sport, brand new with a 3 year warranty, these machines are capable of a great cut and built to last a long time. I also think for a bit more you could certainly find a "better" used commercial machine that would be very reliable with a nice cut!

2. Mtnmn

Mtnmn LawnSite Member

I went up to the dealer Mon. morning and looked at this machine again. It's a BS ELS, it has the later style cartridge air filter that slips over a tube to the intake manifold. It's not the flat paper w/yellow tabs style that was pron to leaking and letting dirt thru to the engine internals.

There is not a scratch or spot of rust on it that I could find.:cool2:

Can't get pics to upload.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. IS500Z

IS500Z LawnSite Member

The 36 inch deck on the Scags is not their greatest deck design. I would be more concerned about that than an ELS engine to mow half an acre.

Assuming that you mow the entire half acre why not get a walk behind? A 48-inch walk behind will knock out a half acre about as fast as the ZTR and be less expensive as well. You could even get a better engine and larger deck on a walk behind if you want to keep the dollar amounts the same.

4. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

There you go! Did you buy it? You will be very happy with the Freedom Z if you did! Especially for the price! That machine has a great seat on it, you will be comfortable for sure! Keep us posted!

5. Mtnmn

Mtnmn LawnSite Member

Here's the pics.

From what I saw hydro walk-behinds (exmark 48 viking) I was quoted $5200.00.

Sooner or later I won't want or be able to chase a walk-behind. Also nobody I've talked to was willing to let their wife use one.

So for now I'll sit on my butt and enjoy the ride.

DSCN0098.JPG

DSCN0099.JPG

DSCN0100.JPG

DSCN0101.JPG

DSCN0102.JPG

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Probably the last mower you will ever buy (or should I say have to). Enjoy

7. Mtnmn

Mtnmn LawnSite Member

That was the way I was looking at it.

Thank you

8. tmartin1976

tmartin1976 LawnSite Member

I am going to be starting a new yard in the fall of approximately 4 acres. How large of a mower would you suggest and what brand. I have a ztr Toro 42" deck now. I would definitly like to upsize.

9. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on obstacles, gates etc... If it was wide open id go for a 60" if your budget allows. Toro scag exmark hustler snapper...the possibilities are almost endless it seems. Tell us a little more about the property for a better analysis.

Chris
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ce750jockey

ce750jockey LawnSite Member

Not to hijack the thread or get off topic, as the owner of a new machine, I was wondering from some of you pros if it makes much difference in my new Toro ZT with the Kawasaki 22HP if I run a standard SAE 30 oil in it versus a higher priced or more well known brand. In other words, will any oil do? Thoughts on synthetics? Thanks.