Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. terceslil

terceslil LawnSite Member

I'd hate to have to threaten to take someone to court...... over a mower. while it may be true that he didn't live up to his end of the bargain, I don't see me sending any certified letters.

I want to find a copy of the owners manual and get started on this.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh Well! Buyer beware!

Any way for the manual, If you post the model number, and or go here, you can get a manual,

Exmark Manuals

3. terceslil

When I click your link, it acts like I clicked "reply".

The model is MHP4815KAC, serial number 394840.

I found a thread where someone had a similar problem here

It seems that his problem was the carb, coils, or a valve adjustment. The description of the problem seems similar to mine.

4. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually test the threads?

NOW TRY!

5. terceslil

Thanks! I am going to start by getting the spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, and fuel filter. I figure that doing the regular maintenance first won't hurt. I already have some 10/30 woil here.

6. terceslil

Looks like the serial number on this mower belongs to a 2003.

So, I have a 2003 instead of a 2005. Needs all new belts. Needs tune up. Dry rotted tires. Smokes + loses power under load, so may have carb or coil problems, or valves may need adjusting.

I already ordered my oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs...

Texted the seller one more time for no response. Hellova deal for $900.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. IS500Z

IS500Z LawnSite Member

I never threaten I follow through, but to each his own I guess. I also do not have to take into account lawyers fees so my math is different then yours perhaps. Too bad you got taken I hope you end up at least breaking even on the deal. By the sounds of it you basically bought a frame for $900 which needs belts, tires, and maybe a new engine. With a little work it still might end up to your credit.

8. terceslil

This will be my parts manual

This will be my owner's manual

(These are specific to my serial numbers.) I doubt the manuals changed much from year to year, but just in case I have saved the manuals for my serial number.

Hopefully my parts will be in soon and I can see if a little maintenance helps.

9. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I would still say if you paid $900 for this machine you are still ahead of the game if indeed the engine is not fried. Belts and tires are no big deal, you would have to change belts at some point anyway and tires should be no more than $100 a pair and I would say a search of the net you could find them for half that. I would do all the general maintenance and see if you still having a problem. If so then I would call a small engine repair guy and get it looked at! It could be just the carb is a bit dirty, but guessing could cost more money. In the mean time, you could post a friendly message in the repair section and maybe someone over there will be kind enough to help you out! I will post the link below!

In the future it is worth it to find a guy with some knowledge or pro and pay him to come along to look at the machine or anything for that matter. Kinda of a learning curve. To me it really sucks when people do this crap, they should just be up front and be honest and tell you what's wrong with it, so you not pulling your hair out trying to figure it out. No better than a thief in my opinion. But live and learn.

Link
    http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

First thing you better do before anything else is do a compression check on that engine. Unless I missed that you have already done it. Before you sink any more money into it.