1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. damnfingers

damnfingers LawnSite Member

Capemay, thanks for your response. Went looking today and found a new 2010 Toro 74444 marked down to $5999 (from $7199). Probably more than I need but what a beautiful machine...would last me several lifetimes I think.

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro is a great machine, I have a friend that has been in the business 30 years and that is all he uses! Never more than you need, if you can afford to more mower, get it! Better cut, better deck and better resale! If you place an add for a used Toro, you are bound to sell it quick!

3. damnfingers

Down to three mowers now:

2010 Exmark Quest SP (new) for $4999
    2011 Ferris I500 for $4999
    2011 Exmark Pioneer E series $4999

The Quest SP has a lot of features that neither the Ferris nor the Pioneer have...I think it's the one for me.

4. mrich1353

mrich1353 LawnSite Member

New to the site, enjoying the information!
    Homeowner with flat yard (just under 1 acre) and many landscape curves. Killed a set of front tires in under 400 hours on my John Deere LX279 from all the turning.
    Looking at a near commercial ZRT; leaning toward Scag Freedom Z with Kawasaki 20HP or possibly Toro Titan ZX4820 with 22 HP Kawasaki engine. Limited brand options since a nearby servicing dealer is important. I have also considered Exmark LazerZ E series with 20HP Kawasaki; this seemed fairly comparable to my other options but much pricier and probably overkill for my needs. I will add the mulching system to which ever model I end up with. Quality of cut is important; thick lawn which I cut anywhere from 2" to 3.5" depending on season.
    Any thoughts or experience with these mowers?

5. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Scag Freedom z is the best mower of those you listed. Probably the best in it's class. You will not be disappointed with it.

6. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

One thing the Ferris has is suspension,of those I would prefer the Ferris. Your back will thank you.
    Take em out for a test drive,see which one you like.

7. mrich1353

Another Toro in the mix vs the Freedom Z is Titan MX4880; it is a similar price point to the Scag Freedom Z.

8. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

That's a consideration i hadn't thought of. I really like my Snapperpro 36"on MY yard. After getting bounced around hog rootings this weekend for four hours straight. I fell in love with a Ferris 44" today. Anything with suspension but i like the 44" deck it had.

9. mrich1353

Checked out the Hustler FasTrak Super Duty 48"; dealer network is weak in my area compared to others, but a nice machine and a contender as I try to decide.

Will add mulch kit for full time mulching (thick bluegrass blend). Under one flat acre with lot's of landscape beds / inside and outside curves. Cut quality very important.

My current options at similar pricing:
    Scag Freedom Z (48") with 20HP Kawasaki
    Hustler FasTrak SD (48") with 23HP Kawasaki (will also add Flex Forks)
    Toro Titan MX4880 with 22HP Kawasaki

The budget option:
    Toro ZX4820 with 22HP Kawasaki

The Hustler is looking strong because of the added HP since I'll be mulching, but Freedom Z seems comparable beyond HP, maybe a better mulching system.
    Thoughts?:)

10. damnfingers

"...but Freedom Z seems comparable beyond HP, maybe a better mulching system.
    Thoughts?"

I borrowed my back door neighbor's 3 year old Freedom Z this past weekend to mow my yard (and to see if I was really making a good decision to go ZTR - I am). He has a mulching system on it and I came away filthy!!!! Tiny grass clippings and dust come up all around the deck when you're not moving and cover your legs and feet. Granted the mulching was very satisfactory but it made me reconsider having a mulching kit on my mower if they are all like that. I'm still negotiating for an Exmark Quest SP (leftover new 2010 model) and hope to have an excellent price locked down this week.