Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

You wont regret getting a bigger machine... Buyers remorse sucks!!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. shiplemw

shiplemw LawnSite Member

Wow there is a lot of good information in this thread. So unless something crazy happens I'm the soon to be owner of ~4 acres of rural residential property. The yard is bumpy, no ruts, holes, etc but it does have elevation changes and a pond. There are lots of straight runs from front to back on the property but there are ~10 big trees (maple and black walnut), 6-8 apple trees and ~20 spruce trees of various sizes split across the property to mow around.

I'm looking new and used right now and the range of spend is ~3-7k. So the questions:
    - When is the best time to buy a new mower? I need one by March at the earliest, April at the latest. Will dealers be trying to clear inventory come January / February?
    - How does one get a test drive?

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

A great machine to look at would be a Hustler Superduty 60" There have been many members that have bought the SD 60" and love it! I believe it is priced right around 7K! Still many many others! It is just a matter of what feels right! I would start driving around to dealers now and see what they have! They may be willing to work a deal on leftover inventory!

4. IS500Z

IS500Z LawnSite Member

As posted above the first decision will be to find a good dealer who will work with you and help you choose equipment that will fit your needs. That said, since you mentioned a rough mowing surface you might want to look at Ferris' line of mowers which are equipped with a patented independent suspension system.

5. shiplemw

shiplemw LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like there are multiple dealers around for some of the big players: Exmark, Hustler, Bobcat, John Deere, Toro, Dixie, Grasshopper, Bad Boy, and SCAG. Price / features wise the Bad Boy's definately have some interesting options as do the Husqvarna models I've browsed online. I talked to the JD / Exmark dealer and they have a few 2011 models they would be looking to clear at a reduced price. I'll have to get back there and look some more. Maybe my inlaws will let me take their Grasshopper and Badboy MZ out for a ride.

6. saw n mow

saw n mow LawnSite Senior Member

You mentioned your inlaws BadBoy MZ. I own the MZ48, and from your description of your property (bumpy, 4 acres), I wouldn't recommend the MZ. It is a very well built and tough mower, but I don't think it's what you would be happy with. I mow about a 1/2 acre of mowable grass at my own place and a total of approx. 4 acres (between 4 different properties) that are paid and volunteer. For 4 bumpy acres at one property, I would look into what the others are recommending including BadBoy's bigger mowers. The places I mow are rural and can be fairly bumpy...suspension (and/or larger tires) would be real nice.

Kevin

7. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

The husq mz line are some heavy mowers. Ive got a mz6128 wich can be had for around 4 grand.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Any news on a mower? I have researched Grasshoppers through the net since there are no dealers here, but I have to say that they are pretty BadA$$ looking mowers! The 120K and 124 look like a well built machine, but I have no idea how they cut. Certainly worth a look.

9. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

This is a great machine at a great price
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. shiplemw

shiplemw LawnSite Member

I ended up buying a used Kubota B7500 compact tractor with a 60" belly mower. It's a 4x4, diesel, with mid & rear pto and 3 point hitch. It had ~560 hrs and was owned by the local university. I figure it will cover all my needs (plowing, mowing, etc).