Lawn Care Forum banner

Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

420K views 1K replies 263 participants last post by  dlentp79 
#1 ·
Well I think it is about time for this and maybe the moderators can please sticky this?

It seems that it is about once a day a new member comes along and asks for advise on a ZTR, Tractor, mower or walkbehind for their property. I think this is the place to discuss and add info on machines that will fit peoples needs for their property all in one place. We can also start adding technical info and photos on the machines we are familiar. This will certainly help those that are searching for a mower and help them narrow down the search. Let's try and be polite and please "NO" brand bashing! Let's keep it mower and engine related. So to all those that can help, I am sure it will be appreciated to those searching for a new or used machine. Thanks!

#52 ·
thank you for the input. We've potentially decided on the Toro TimeCutterZ 42". It's in our current cash reserves price range & seems to meet our mowing needs. We had set on the 2011 20HP model but apparently HD has a 2010 22HP Kawasaki model that they'll knock some $ off of & the current promo offers a free trimmer.
Guys, great site. I'll echo what the others have said, I appreciate all the input from the pros, as well as the "amateurs", like me.

RacTrustee, I'm also considering this very Toro, the 42" with the 22 HP Kawasaki engine. Can you let us know how you make out with it? Also, if anyone else, Skidpad or others, has any experience with the Toro Time Cutter, please chime in. I've only got about 2/3 of an acre to cut. I think a Scag, eXmark or Bob Cat is too much machine for me, in terms of capability and money. Thanks.

#53 ·
Guys, great site. I'll echo what the others have said, I appreciate all the input from the pros, as well as the "amateurs", like me.

RacTrustee, I'm also considering this very Toro, the 42" with the 22 HP Kawasaki engine. Can you let us know how you make out with it? Also, if anyone else, Skidpad or others, has any experience with the toro Time Cutter, please chime in. I've only got about 2/3 of an acre to cut. I think a Scag, eXmark or Bob Cat is too much machine for me, in terms of capability and money. Thanks.
A guy came in here last year thinking he needed a small walkbehind mower and winded up with a Hustler Sport! You can get into a Hustler Sport or Badboy MZ series for about $2999. Money well spent IMO!

#54 ·
Bobcat Fastcat Pro 52"...in The Wild.

Greetings everyone. I've been lurking and reading here for several weeks in my quest to "upgrade" my 1995 AYP 42"/18hp B&S lawnmower. There is plenty of good information here, and I thank everyone for their contributions as I shopped around in my anal-retentive ways.

I wanted to stay around $5k, and my first choice was the Husqvarna MZ6128. The 23" rear tires and the 13" front tires would be excellent on the somewhat bumpy terrain I mow on. Loved this mower overall, but had to pass due to the fact that I store my mower in part of my basement, and the door opening is 64" - which would've left only 1.5" total on the mower deck edges. After much deliberation about this, I passed - even though I never got to test drive one.

Although the price was higher than I wanted to spend, I also strongly considered the Hustler Fastrak 54". This thing drove great - stick action was smooth, and the 13" front tires and standard ROPS were a plus.
The negatives
Nice Bobcat! I had posted earlier in this thread that Bobcat was a great mower along with being reasonable priced! Allot of commercial guys that have these love em! Great cut, well built and priced well! Good luck with it!

#55 ·
Capemay Eagle, thanks for the info. From what I've read it looks like the local deaer can give me an ok deal on a 2010 Hustler 25/54 Super Duty. The snow is finally gone and the grass will be growing soon. I have talked to the dealers and have demo rides set up as soon as the weather cooperates and the grass starts growing. Is the Hustler x-one a similar mower to the ferris is2000 other then the suspension ? I'm also interested in learning more about the icd and vx4 decks.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
I noticed you were online Phscotty, have you found a machine yet?

#56 ·
Over the past two weeks I had demo rides on a 2010 Hustler Super Duty 25/54, 2011 x-one 26/54, and 2010 Ferris is2000 25/52. The hustler dealer told me not to demo the x-one after the SD because I would like it better and buy it. He was right, I took delivery of the x-one last night.
Posted via Mobile Device

#57 ·
Over the past two weeks I had demo rides on a 2010 Hustler Super Duty 25/54, 2011 x-one 26/54, and 2010 Ferris is2000 25/52. The hustler dealer told me not to demo the x-one after the SD because I would like it better and buy it. He was right, I took delivery of the x-one last night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well that's great! Let's see some pics in the Homeowner picture page!! I am going to be moving in a few years and the property is about 2.5 acres with a beautiful lawn! The X One is high on my list if it is still in production! Congrats and send some pics and info on your new machine!

#58 ·
ce750jockey: sorry, I don't have any experience with the Toro Timecutter series, but for 2/3 of an acre, it looks like it would do the job very nicely.
Also, if your username means what I think it does, send me a PM...I'm in the airplane business too.

capemay eagle: Thanks! I saw your post about the Bobcats before purchasing mine, and I agree with your statement! They are well-built and have easy access to the important parts....all factored into my purchasing decision. I'll post some more pictures in the Picture thread.

#59 ·
RacTrustee and ce750jockey I have a buddy that bought a Toro 42" last summer from HD and has been very happy with it.

Capemay....this past Sunday I had test rides of the x-one and the Ferris is2000 at my house at the same time. I cut half my yard with each machine and drove each at full speed over the rougher parts of my yard several times. The only thing I liked better about the Ferris was the ride. The ride on the ferris was better but not "wow" better. IMO every other part of the x-one was better. I'm sure I would have been more then satisfied with the Super Duty I tried the week prior but cut and durability were major factors in my choice. I found the x-one to be better in both categories. Two of my kids liked "the yellow one" and two liked "the red one" but in the end I found the x-one to be a good fit for me. I will try and get some pictures posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

#61 ·
For a good quality 4-stroke without having to mix oil and gas (like Stihl's 4-mix) you could look at Honda or Dolmar if you have dealers near you. Both use straight gas with different oil delivery systems. The Honda's are nice but heavy.

#62 ·
Im also in the market for a new trimmer. I would like to not have to use mixed gas. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Being honest, I think when it comes to a trimmer, you want a 2 stroke! They are light weight and have plenty of power and are very reliable! THe Echo and Stihl line of trimmers are probably the best out there! I have a SRM210 Echo trimmer and I love it! Super light and has lots of power. Mix a 2 gallon can and it will last you all summer!

#63 ·
ce750jockey: sorry, I don't have any experience with the Toro Timecutter series, but for 2/3 of an acre, it looks like it would do the job very nicely.
Also, if your username means what I think it does, send me a PM...I'm in the airplane business too.

It does, indeed. I can't seem to find the PM button on this site. PM me and maybe I can figure out where the "reply" button is.

.92M :laugh:

#64 ·
Im also in the market for a new trimmer. I would like to not have to use mixed gas. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey let me help you out with this one. I don't mean to hijack the thread on ZTRs, but check out the April Popular Mechanics, pg. 95. They rate 6 trimmers. They are:

Echo SRM-225i, Hitachi CG22EASSLP, Husqvarna 223L, Kawasaki KTF27B, Redmax TR2350S, and Stihl FS 56 RC-E.

They said all are great machines. But the winner was the Echo with "explosive power and torque". 14 pounds, 107 decibels, 21.2 cc, and price $250.

Side note: I have a Stihl FS 55 R. Gobs of power. One problem, though. Winter storage. You gotta run it dry. Very small tolerances in the carb. Any gunk or crap in the gas (additives, water) and you're done. I had to rebuild the carb....twice! It's working now. The Echos are simple and rock solid. I tested them while I was rebuilding my Stihl. I'd get the Echo if I had to do it again.

#65 ·
I was going through the different brands recently and picking out ZTR mowers I'd be looking at if I were to step up from my BadBoy MZ (I'm very happy with it for my needs right now). The main detail would be to upgrade to non-sealed, serviceable hydros if I was to ever get a couple/few yards to mow in the side. Anyway, I was looking at the Woods brand mowers website: http://www.woodsequipment.com/mowers.aspx?id=10305&ekmensel=ff8c4a46_21_0_10305_7

To me the ZTR's look similar to the Bobcat models. Another mower to throw into the mix. Anybody have any experience with these mowers?

Kevin

#66 · (Edited)
Hey let me help you out with this one. I don't mean to hijack the thread on ZTRs, but check out the April Popular Mechanics, pg. 95. They rate 6 trimmers. They are:

Echo SRM-225i, Hitachi CG22EASSLP, Husqvarna 223L, Kawasaki KTF27B, Redmax TR2350S, and Stihl FS 56 RC-E.

They said all are great machines. But the winner was the Echo with "explosive power and torque". 14 pounds, 107 decibels, 21.2 cc, and price $250.

Side note: I have a Stihl FS 55 R. Gobs of power. One problem, though. Winter storage. You gotta run it dry. Very small tolerances in the carb. Any gunk or crap in the gas (additives, water) and you're done. I had to rebuild the carb....twice! It's working now. The Echos are simple and rock solid. I tested them while I was rebuilding my Stihl. I'd get the Echo if I had to do it again.
No Surprise there on the Echo! I have had mine four seasons now and it is still as good as day 1! I did check out the 225 and I don't care for it as much as my SRM210. It feels a little more bulky and a little heavier. I think mine is 11 pounds? Still would be my first choice!

#67 ·
ce750jockey:

It does, indeed. I can't seem to find the PM button on this site. PM me and maybe I can figure out where the "reply" button is.

.92M :laugh:
Hmmm, I thought there was one. Send me an email instead at skidpad67 at gmail dot com
Posted via Mobile Device

#68 ·
saw n mow: You are correct - the Woods mowers look very similar to the Bobcats - and that isn't a bad thing :) The deck lift pedal, the pulley covers, all very Bobcat-ish - common supplier perhaps?

phscotty: my father-in-law bought a Honda 4-stroke trimmer a few years ago. I tried it a few times, and it was a good trimmer, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I was going to be. Last year he traded it back in to the same dealer for an Echo. He isn't the handiest of people when it comes to things like mixing oil and gas, so I was concerned about him with this new Echo, but he buys over-the-counter gas & oil already mixed.

I had never heard of such a thing, but he buys it from his mower/trimmer dealer. Its a regular/legitimate commercial product that comes in a quart-size metal can with oil and fuel stabilizer already mixed in. I think its like $8 for a can, but if you aren't doing much trimming, this could be an option for you. (I don't remember the name of this product, but I'll ask him and post back sometime).

#69 ·
saw n mow: You are correct - the Woods mowers look very similar to the Bobcats - and that isn't a bad thing :) The deck lift pedal, the pulley covers, all very Bobcat-ish - common supplier perhaps?
I would agree. In fact if I was seriously looking to upgrade my current ZTR mower, I would be seriously looking at a Woods brand mower. According to the dealer locator, there are a few dealers nearby.

Kevin

#70 ·
I was going through the different brands recently and picking out ZTR mowers I'd be looking at if I were to step up from my BadBoy MZ (I'm very happy with it for my needs right now). The main detail would be to upgrade to non-sealed, serviceable hydros if I was to ever get a couple/few yards to mow in the side. Anyway, I was looking at the Woods brand mowers website: http://www.woodsequipment.com/mowers.aspx?id=10305&ekmensel=ff8c4a46_21_0_10305_7

To me the ZTR's look similar to the Bobcat models. Another mower to throw into the mix. Anybody have any experience with these mowers?

Kevin
From what I read these are Bobcat mowers!

#75 ·
Hi all...I'm a homeowner who for the past 5+ years, has been mowing my 2.5 acre yard with a Craftsman regular riding mower. I'm ready to take the plunge to a ZTR and I've narrowed it down to a couple options and wanted to get some opinions on which might be better.
I'm wanting to try and keep this purchase under $3500 if possible but that's not a strict limit.
First one is the Toro TimeCutter SS5060 (50") and the other is the Husqvarna RZ5424 (54"). Both have a 24HP two cylinder engine. Even though the Toro's deck is slightly smaller, it does have the smart speed control system. However I don't know if this is a feature that really makes a difference between these mowers. I don't fully understand what would make this preferable over the Husqvarna.
So any opinions or thoughts would be really helpful as I want to make this purchase sometime in the next week.
Or perhaps there is a different model altogether that I haven't considered?