Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. XtraGrass

XtraGrass LawnSite Member

I was looking in the $5K range, but the mower shop less than 1 mile from my land only carries Scag and Simplicity. The 61" models of the freedom z and citation put me into the $6.5 to $8 K range. I really don't want to go smaller than 61". I'm in the Louisville, Ky area and Louisville Tractor carries Scag and John Deere. I feel like I should try to work with the mower shop near me instead of going to a larger place like Louisville tractor, because I'll probably get my mower serviced at the local store. Also, the store quoted me $6500 for Briggs and Stratton freedom z vs $7300 for Kohler freedom z. Is the Kohler really worth $800 more?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a quick search for a Hustler dealer and I found a few with in range of Louieville. I will put the link at the bottom. Are any of these guys close to you?

The Scag is a good machine, but for that kind of money you could probably get into a Hustler Super duty. The Superduty is an upgraded fastrak, it has the upgraded Kawasaki engine and upgraded 7 gauge deck along with a few other bells and whistles. Now in the mid to upper 5K range you could get into a basic fastrak which comes with a FS Kawasaki engine. It would be worth it to demo a Hustler and the Scag Freedom and see what feels right, it's also nice to get some numbers to negotiate with. Sometimes it is worth a little ride to check another dealer out, but certainly if you are happy with the close dealer support and you like the dealer, that is just as important. I think most guys would agree the Kohler is the better engine, certainly an upgrade and commercial grade. Cutting 5 acres a week, you want a good dependable engine. You cannot go wrong with either machine. A few other quality machines are Gravely, Ferris and Dixie Chopper.

Dealer search
    http://www.hustlerturf.com/find-a-dealer.html

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the commercial guys was nice enough to do a write up for a John Deere 600 series. Certainly another machine to take a peek at. It is in that $5K to $6K range you are looking at and lays a nice stripe. If you have a local John Deere dealer, maybe check it out.
    Thread
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=4430988#post4430988

4. youngr

youngr LawnSite Member

Your not going to find any new Scag with a 61in deck or any for that matter for 5k around Louisville.

Bluegrass Lawn and Garden does have a new closeout 2011 Scag Tiger Cat with 61in deck for under 8k with Kohler, if you were considering spending 7300 for the Freedom Z.

5. cableguy657

cableguy657 LawnSite Member

Got mine today! A Hustler Fast Trak Super Duty FX26 54 inch. I have been kicking this around for some time now. I finally had enough of spending half a day cutting grass and trimming. I also got a new string trimmer last week, a Husqvarna 327LS. I got a grass blade for it, for the weeds I have that laugh at a string trimmer. Got pics of the new mower on my iPad but I haven't figured on how to post them from it.

Another thing that helped me with buying the mower besides the hours and hours spent surfing here was the 48 months 0% financing.

Ken

6. XtraGrass

XtraGrass LawnSite Member

I'll be looking again this week for mowers. Already have a trimmer. Stihl FS90. Love it. Thanks for the advise so far.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats! To post a pic from your iPad.....
    Create a photobucket account, download the photobucket app to your iPad then upload your pic so photobucket will create an IMG or HTML code that is easy to cut and paste into the post...make sense?

Posted from my iPad....[​IMG]

8. avguy

I've got the FS 85 which I think is just an older version of yours and it's a workhorse.

9. cableguy657

cableguy657 LawnSite Member

I couldnt get it to work with the ipad. i will have to work on it, i jumped on my pc and did it there. thanks

[​IMG]

10. avguy

Very nice!