Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

Ellibri.... I cut my 2+ acres with an Exmark 48TTHP. I also have a JD 2305 w/a 62C mower. If I could have only one piece of equipment hands down it would be the JD if for no other reason you can just do more with it. The FEL is like a wheel barrow you don't have to push around. I have way more toys for it than I should, but I use all of them. Look around & see if you can find a JD 2210 with low hours. It's just an older version of the 2305.

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Kinda comparing apples to oranges here. What do you prefer? I mean really you can only answer this. Both great machines and will last many years. Again two different machines, both commercial/Semi commercial machines. Condition and price would play a role. I myself would prefer the Tiger Cub. What years and money are we talking?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  3. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

Ellibri

I'd get a ZTR for mowing (you'll smile every time you mow) and look for a used garden tractor later for pulling carts, etc.

I'm a homeowner with 3.5 acres of grass (property is 5 acres) to mow. I have a 2004 Dixie Chopper Classic 60 inch for mowing and a 1981 John Deere 111 for occasional mowing but is used mostly to pull a garden cart and my chipper. I'm not sure why you would need a small tractor with 1.5 acres. I haven't needed one for my property.

I have a lot of trees on one section of the property that I do mow and I have to pick up limbs and sometimes cut up fallen trees. My 111 and garden cart has handled moving this stuff fine.

A ZTR can pull a garden cart occasionally but I'd check to see what is the maximum recommended weight to pull.

4. Capemay Eagle

I do pay attention to this thread, I did have a response for your post and got side tracked and never got back to it. Allot of the regulars have not been chiming in. Guys come and go. They get their machines and new interest arise and the off to a new site, also heading into summer, vacations and such. Busy, busy!

5. Capemay Eagle

When did you get that? Recently?

6. Capemay Eagle

I like all the mowers you have listed, I especially like the Hustler Fastrak, but I think you could do a little better on the price. The Hustler comes with the better FS engine and ZT3100 hydros and as you said a great warranty. The Gravely is very comparable, your getting a little bigger deck and a few more horsey's, but with the FR engine. The Gravely also has the same Hydro's. Honestly, for 1.3 acres, these are two great machines to do the job and with proper maintenance, they will last a decade, you cannot go wrong with either. It will ultimately come down to which one you prefer operating and what dealer you would prefer to deal with. I cannot speak for Gravely, but I have had to deal with Hustler and they are a stand up company. I am on my second Hustler and I love it.

7. hdtvluvr

Got the DC new in 04 when I bought the property. Father in law gave me the 111 late 04 or 05 when he bought a new one. I'm currently at 249 hours on the DC and 29 hours on the 111 since re-powering it in 08. The 111 had the original engine.

8. Capemay Eagle

I never realized that you had a DC! I like the Dixie's. Not many around these parts, but I do see them on trailers from time to time. Let's see some pictures of the beast!

9. hdtvluvr

I've posted photos before in the other equipment picture thread. Here are the links: Equipment

Wish I had photos of the DC when it was new.

I also just purchased a 48 inch bobcat hydro walkbehind after continually reading about operators getting hurt/killed with ztr's on hills and around ponds - both of which I have. Now I use the bobcat for the hill and 1 pass around the pond.

It can be seen here: Bobcat

The DC was purchased new. All of the other was used.

10. Lawn Yawn

Lawn Yawn LawnSite Member

Capemay,
    Thanks for the reply. I actually duplicated my post in a separate thread and got some responses a couple weeks ago. I decided on the Gravely HD 48. The price was right.

It's interesting that the Fastrak quotation seems high to you. $5100 was for what I was told was a 2011. But then got to the dealer, and it was an early 2010...hmmm. The 2010 is MUCH smaller than the 2011/2012. 8" wheels, smaller engine. They did have the current Fastback 48 in stock, but they wouldn't go lower than $5400. In fact, I checked three dealers, and $5350 was about as low as I could get any of them to go for the Fastback, and I offered cash. If I could have gotten closer to 5k, I probably would have jumped. But compared to the Gravely, I just couldn't see $500 in extra features or quality in the Hustler (beyond the extra year on the warranty, and the cool yellow color, which is nice).

Anyhoo, I'm pretty excited about my new Gravely. The dealer's bringing it to my new place on Monday morning (which has about 3 acres to mow, not 1.3).
    Posted via Mobile Device