Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember the Bob Cat photos, but I don't remember the DC. Good stuff.

Congrats on the mower! Different parts of the country seem to have different pricing. I was quoted by a dealer a while back $4999.00. for the FT 48" I would think with a leftover, you would have been around the same if not a tad better on that price.

2. sixdoubleseven

sixdoubleseven LawnSite Member
    from USA

Sorry, I started a new thread when I should posted here first.

Would a 3 year old Simplicity Axion (42/20) with 90-100 hours be better than a new 42" Cub/Husq/Craftsman (residential base models)?

Simplicity is $1600 (with bag) vs. $2,400 for the other models without a bagger.

Thanks

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

My answer would be no. I would offer a thousand bucks if that. The Airens zoom 42" I believe is in the $2500 range. I would look into that.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  4. Indybuck

Indybuck LawnSite Member
    from Indy

I am looking for a rider/ZTR for my half acre lot. The lot has a walkout as well and since my HS sons may help cut some I have some concerns with the slope. I would like something that would give me about 10 years with limited maint. Reliability is more important than just about everything else except price. Since we push cut the yard now anything will be an improvement. I am hoping to find something under $4k. My neighbor is a Dixie chopper salesmen and typically gets a new mower each spring the sells them for about 60% of retail. Is this deal going to be the best option for me? Are there other options to consider? There is a Hustler Sport at a place near work and as I read on them I find a lot of positive comments but I cannot find much discussion on the DC.

Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

What size slop are you talking about?

6. Indybuck

Indybuck LawnSite Member
    from Indy

My yard drops one floor from front to back (walkout lot). On one side I have a steeper drop than on the other. One side has a drop of about 12 feet with about a 15 foot run. The other side has a longer slope. There the drop is probably 15 feet but the run is about 30 feet.

7. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm one of the few home owners on here that uses a WB instead of a traditional zero turn rider. Of course a pic of the slope would help but you might want to consider either a WB with a sulky or maybe a stander. Both of those should hold a hill better than a rider.

8. Indybuck

Indybuck LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Even if the hill is a concern, those are the most extreme locations. the side yard tapers back such that near the back of the property there is no slope concerns. If a rider cannot handle the slope i could cut the steepest part with a push mower. I would still be interested in any opinions on whether or not the half year old dixie chopper at 60% of retail is the best option for me or are there other riders that would knock out a half acre lot well.

9. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

On the Dixie Chopper. What model? Please find out. As far as a good deal? Sounds like a GREAT one to me. Say you get a 1,000 hours out of that mower. If he mows 20 hours a year. That's only 2% of the mower life at 60% of the price. Dixie make some good mowers. I remember when they were King Of The Hill! Again. What model?

10. Indybuck

Indybuck LawnSite Member
    from Indy

The Dixie Chopper model is the Zee 1. There are a couple of options. One would be the 42" for about $2500 or the 48" for about $2600. I assume both would have hours from this summer on them.