Lawn Care Forum banner

Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

420K views 1K replies 263 participants last post by  dlentp79 
#1 ·
Well I think it is about time for this and maybe the moderators can please sticky this?

It seems that it is about once a day a new member comes along and asks for advise on a ZTR, Tractor, mower or walkbehind for their property. I think this is the place to discuss and add info on machines that will fit peoples needs for their property all in one place. We can also start adding technical info and photos on the machines we are familiar. This will certainly help those that are searching for a mower and help them narrow down the search. Let's try and be polite and please "NO" brand bashing! Let's keep it mower and engine related. So to all those that can help, I am sure it will be appreciated to those searching for a new or used machine. Thanks!

#77 ·
Hi all...I'm a homeowner who for the past 5+ years, has been mowing my 2.5 acre yard with a Craftsman regular riding mower. I'm ready to take the plunge to a ZTR and I've narrowed it down to a couple options and wanted to get some opinions on which might be better.
I'm wanting to try and keep this purchase under $3500 if possible but that's not a strict limit.
First one is the Toro TimeCutter SS5060 (50") and the other is the Husqvarna RZ5424 (54"). Both have a 24HP two cylinder engine. Even though the Toro's deck is slightly smaller, it does have the smart speed control system. However I don't know if this is a feature that really makes a difference between these mowers. I don't fully understand what would make this preferable over the Husqvarna.
So any opinions or thoughts would be really helpful as I want to make this purchase sometime in the next week.
Or perhaps there is a different model altogether that I haven't considered?
I would suggest looking at a BadBoy MZ...but the biggest deck available is 48". Along the same lines is the Hustler Sport and I think they are available with a 54" deck...but the price might be over what you want to spend. Both very well built mowers and I'd say the best in their class. I really like my BadBoy MZ48.

Kevin

#78 ·
. Its a regular/legitimate commercial product that comes in a quart-size metal can with oil and fuel stabilizer already mixed in. I think its like $8 for a can, but if you aren't doing much trimming, this could be an option for you. (I don't remember the name of this product,
TRUFUEL

It's about $5-6 a a can at HD, Lowes,etc has a shelf life of 2 years and no ethanol. I am using it in all my trimmers,blowers, and chainsaws.

#79 ·
TRUFUEL

It's about $5-6 a a can at HD, Lowes,etc has a shelf life of 2 years and no ethanol. I am using it in all my trimmers,blowers, and chainsaws.
Yeah, No ethanol! I may have to look into this! I know we are mixing VP racing fuel in our racing bikes for motocross! No ethanol in that either!

#80 ·
I would suggest looking at a BadBoy MZ...but the biggest deck available is 48". Along the same lines is the Hustler Sport and I think they are available with a 54" deck...but the price might be over what you want to spend. Both very well built mowers and I'd say the best in their class. I really like my BadBoy MZ48.

Kevin
Wow, I guess I should have waded through the information and numerous posts here because there is a ton of info regarding ZTR mowers in my price range. I really wanted something along the lines of a 54" deck (or close to it) but not at the cost of compromising build quality and cut performance.
I'll look into the ones you mentioned.

#82 ·
Wow, I guess I should have waded through the information and numerous posts here because there is a ton of info regarding ZTR mowers in my price range. I really wanted something along the lines of a 54" deck (or close to it) but not at the cost of compromising build quality and cut performance.
I'll look into the ones you mentioned.
You can also peek at the Bobcat Fastcat RZ!

#84 ·
I'm going to check out a Hustler Sport on Monday. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the Bobcat as well.
Quite a few engine you can get on that Sport! I would look into the Honda or the Kawasaki FR engines, but if you want to save a few bucks, the Briggs will serve you well! The Sport is available with the 54" deck as you have mentioned you were interested in! But I don't think the Honda is available in the 54" deck configuration!

Sport Video

#86 ·
I'm on a limited budget and was curious on what you guys thought about the Toro Timecutter ZTR's. My local dealer has the one that HD sells (Kohler engine) but also has the one with the Kawasaki engine for not much more. Thoughts?
What is your budget and what kind of acreage are you cutting?
You can get into a Badboy MZ series for about $2999 maybe the same money for the Hustler sport! And these machines are both built very well. This would be with the Briggs engine, but I feel the Briggs engines in these machines are doing pretty well. Maybe Saw & Mow can pop in here and fill you in on the MZ and the Briggs engine!

As far as the timecutter, there are people on the board here that own them and like them, Toro is a great name in the green industry, Toro commercial mowers and top notch and can maybe be said as one of the best industry! I don't feel the same about their residential mowers, but they will do the job and if you can get the Kawi engine, by all means get it! It is probably the FR engine, same as the Badboy MZ and Sport. There are more options out there for a little more money. When it comes to a ZTR purchase and few hundred more can really go along way. There are many things to consider, such as transmissions, frame build and the deck! A fabricated welded deck is certainly much better and will last a much longer time than a stamped deck. I am sure a few MZ and Sport owners will stop in here and assist you with any questions!

#87 ·
I'm on a limited budget and was curious on what you guys thought about the Toro Timecutter ZTR's. My local dealer has the one that HD sells (Kohler engine) but also has the one with the Kawasaki engine for not much more. Thoughts?
I just took delivery of a Toro Timecutter today. I got the 42" with the 22HP Kawasaki engine. I used it today on my lawn that hasn't been cut in 2 weeks with all the rain here in Cleveland. My grass was 10" high. The mower cut through it with absolutely NO problems. Get the bigger engine, like I did. You won't regret it.

BUT, I'm an amateur, and I did learn a lesson about using these things....be careful if your lawn is soggy and marshy. I got stuck when I allowed the tires to spin and the tread to fill up with mud. I left ruts and learned you better plan your turns accordingly, or you're gonna be sorry. You don't want to be going over the same spots two or three times when you make your turns. That's where I got into trouble.

But, as far as the actual machine, it seems well built, handles like a dream, and has plenty of power to make quick work of very tall, wet grass. Now, I've only used it once, but I actually had fun cutting the grass...and drinking beer at the same time. Hmm...maybe that's why I got stuck! :hammerhead:

Hope this helps.

#90 ·
To add to Capemay's questions of acreage and budget, is your yard fairly smooth or fairly rough? I ask this because I have been mowing a neighbors country yard that 'something' (Possum or Armadillo) has been rooting up part of the already fairly rough yard. With my Bad Boy MZ48 I have to slow down quite a bit for the rough ride. 20" (or bigger) drive tires would probably smooth out the ride (or getting a ZTR with some sort of suspension. Other than 'wanting' bigger drive wheels for what I am mowing...I really like my MZ. I had to 'reclaim' this same yard, and it should have been bushhogged in some areas...but I put my deck on it's highest setting and went after it. The 26hp Pro Briggs did awesome.

The Briggs can be a little cold natured when trying to start it if it's been sitting for quite a while. I can engage the 48" deck with the throttle at barely an idle. The mower is very well built with it's fabbed deck and 2"x2" frame. As was already mentioned the Hustler Sport is built just as well. I believe it has extras such as a cup holder and a designated spot for an optional hour meter. I chose the MZ over the Sport because it fit me better...sat a little higher, better for my long legs.

On paper (and looked at some in person), I shopped other mowers in the general price range and to me these 2 mowers were the most mower for my money.

Here's some pics and comments on my mower:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=331844&highlight=mz48

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3785111&highlight=mz48#post3785111

Kevin

#91 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

My budget is 3k and it is only about 3/4-1 acre. The 21" Toro 20092 is just taking too long to do(esp with trimming,blowing,etc).

I'm going to the dealer this weekend to check out the Toro ZTR again. He does deal with other companies mentioned so I'll be sure to ask about the Hustler Sport & MZ Bad Boy. Those look like nice machines as well.

BTW, the yard is pretty flat. No big hills or anything.

#92 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

My budget is 3k and it is only about 3/4-1 acre. The 21" Toro 20092 is just taking too long to do(esp with trimming,blowing,etc).

I'm going to the dealer this weekend to check out the Toro ZTR again. He does deal with other companies mentioned so I'll be sure to ask about the Hustler Sport & MZ Bad Boy. Those look like nice machines as well.

BTW, the yard is pretty flat. No big hills or anything.
I think when and if you demo a MZ, you will notice that it is a well built machine and you will notice and feel that it is a more commercially built than the Timecutter! If you can swing a few more dollars, you can equip the MZ with a Kawasaki FR engine. It is new ooption for 2011 and could be worth the money, but IMO the Briggs Professional engines are just fine for what your doing!

#96 ·
so this is going to sound like overkill but i'm going to ask anyway...
first mower purchase

1/2 acre residential lawn a few landscaping things but nothing crazy yet.

I've looked at Hustler XEON, Simplicity zt4000 26/48, scag freedom Z with briggs 26 and 52 deck, simplicity zt2000 (entry level one). and the basic simplicty tractor (cheap one)

I drove a friends badboy 60" but liked the simplicity's better.

so while it may be overkill to spend in the 5000 to 6000 range for a zero turn, the pricier ones seem much better built than the $3000 ones.

The seat on the scag was like a lazy boy.

#97 ·
so this is going to sound like overkill but i'm going to ask anyway...
first mower purchase

1/2 acre residential lawn a few landscaping things but nothing crazy yet.

I've looked at Hustler XEON, Simplicity zt4000 26/48, scag freedom Z with briggs 26 and 52 deck, simplicity zt2000 (entry level one). and the basic simplicty tractor (cheap one)

I drove a friends badboy 60" but liked the simplicity's better.

so while it may be overkill to spend in the 5000 to 6000 range for a zero turn, the pricier ones seem much better built than the $3000 ones.

The seat on the scag was like a lazy boy.
I think you're right on, here. I don't think there's any question that a Hustler or a Scag is better than my $3000 Toro. But at just 1/2 an acre, like me, do you REALLY need the additional capability? With the additional $2-3,000, you could buy yourself a great string trimmer, a great blower, make cutting your grass a piece of cake, and STILL have money left over.

#98 ·
It seems that I never see mention of the Bob-Cat FastCat RZ. It's basically their commercial mower with a Briggs engine, smaller wheel motors (10 cc) and I think a different seat and maybe a few other subtle differences. I've never used one but even some of the pros around here are running them and I mean good sized well established companies. Bob-Cats are pretty popular where I am and they give a very nice cut. Worth checking out if you have a dealer near you.

http://www.bobcatturf.com/fastcat-rz-zero-turn-riding-mower.aspx

#99 ·
I think you're right on, here. I don't think there's any question that a Hustler or a Scag is better than my $3000 Toro. But at just 1/2 an acre, like me, do you REALLY need the additional capability? With the additional $2-3,000, you could buy yourself a great string trimmer, a great blower, make cutting your grass a piece of cake, and STILL have money left over.
Good post. But to each their own. If someone has the money to spend on a more expensive machine for a smaller property, we'll help them spend it. :)

Kevin

#100 ·
Well the way it was explained to me by the dealer was that...

the transmission in the $3000 ZTR had a lab expected lifespan of 200 hours, so in about 7 to 10 years, I'd be in with a busted transmission. then he said because the value of the machine and the cost of the part, I'd likely be buying a new machine. But with the $5500 or so machines, the transmissions are designed to last longer - the simplicty zt4000 has a 2 pump system, no gears, which he said should last 2000 hours - or longer than i'll be alive to mow with it.

I figured maintenance on them is going to be about the same, annual oil change, filters, grease points, belt checks, etc. The shop will do an annual maintenance on the machines for 129 and include winter storage. SO my thought was that if I was going to spend 129 / yr on maintenance might as well get the bigger toy.

Otherwise I could get the $3000 one and use it till i have issues with it, and drive around going man I wish I got the one that felt bad ass. but yes they are all overkill.

The Xeon i tested because it is electric and i thought I should check out that root, but it was still loud and felt very clunky.