Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Brules

Brules LawnSite Member

Scag Cheetah? Wow......that thing should last forever lol! Enjoy it, you got the Cadillac for sure!

2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's see her!!

3. Txranchgirl

Txranchgirl LawnSite Member

Howdy,

We have about 10 acres on our new property, but only looking to mow about 2-3 acres of it. Covered in high prairie grass mostly, not many trees, and property does have some hills and ditches. We've got about 3k to spend which isn't much I know, but trying to get the most for our $$. So far we've been looking at the husqvarna 52xls lawn tractor ($3300) , seems like a lot of bang for the buck with the 52inch fabricated deck, 24 hp Kawasaki engine, and ability to haul stuff. Any recommendations on this or other machines in price range that'd get the job done? Hauling/attachments a bonus but not a necessity.

4. Pierre2013

Pierre2013 LawnSite Bronze Member

For the engine; use conventional oil for the first 50 hours, then switch to synthetic. Mobil 1 is a good one. Make sure to check your owner's manual for best grade. For hydraulics, use synthetic. Mobil 1 is again very good.

5. cfranzen

cfranzen LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Why after the first 50 hours? Will take about 2 years to get there. Does that change anything?

6. Pierre2013

Pierre2013 LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason for using conventional over synthetic at the beginning of an engine's life is that synthetic is too 'slippery' and wouldn't allow proper friction between the various moving parts inside your engine.

50 hours is perceived as a reasonable/good amount of time for breaking in your new engine.

The fact it is spread over 2, or even 3 years is irrelevant. I don't know what your habits are, but personally, I'll be changing engine oil and filter at the end of each mowing season (fall). And most likely, I will not even put 50 hours this Summer as I just started to use my 48". I was using a 42" prior to that.

7. shiplemw

shiplemw LawnSite Member

I need a little help here... I bought a Kubota B7500 4wd tractor with a mid mount 60" mower just under two years ago. I wanted to be able to plow the drive, mow, etc. I mow 3 bumpy acres with about 45 trees and a large hill on one side of the property and find it is taking me in the neighborhood of 3-4hrs to do my mowing. I currently mow 1-2x per week. I'm looking to spend in the $3-5k range and I'm not opposed to a used model. I'd estimate I'll put ~100 hrs a season on this. Dealers in this area are Husqvarna, JD, Exmark, Toro, Bad Boy, etc. Pretty much anything you can think of within 30 minutes.

8. Whippit96

Whippit96 LawnSite Member

I just pulled the trigger on a Scag Cheetah myself today. Just got it home, but it's too damn hot to mow at the moment. I think after some time in the pool I'll start mowing tonight.

9. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats! Be good to hear how it goes.

10. Brules

Brules LawnSite Member

Going from a BB to a Cheetah.....wow.......thats like going from a Ford to a Mercedes!