Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

RacTrustee: I can appreciate your cost concerns and desire to maximize your bang-for-your-buck.

Here's my $.02...
    Being that you are using volunteers for your mowing, I would be hesitant to use a ZTR. Although not difficult to learn, the techniques used to safely control a ZTR are techniques not used elsewhere. The "sticks" (control levers) are used for all three functions (fwd, reverse, and stop), and if you are using new volunteers weekly, the time savings spent using a new ZTR could be offset by teaching people how to use it. Additionally, fine motor skills are a prerequisite for ZTR control around obstacles.

Go test drive some and see what you think.

Let us know how you make out.

2. ce750jockey

ce750jockey LawnSite Member

Guys, great site. I'll echo what the others have said, I appreciate all the input from the pros, as well as the "amateurs", like me.

RacTrustee, I'm also considering this very Toro, the 42" with the 22 HP Kawasaki engine. Can you let us know how you make out with it? Also, if anyone else, Skidpad or others, has any experience with the Toro Time Cutter, please chime in. I've only got about 2/3 of an acre to cut. I think a Scag, eXmark or Bob Cat is too much machine for me, in terms of capability and money. Thanks.

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

A guy came in here last year thinking he needed a small walkbehind mower and winded up with a Hustler Sport! You can get into a Hustler Sport or Badboy MZ series for about $2999. Money well spent IMO!

4. Capemay Eagle

Nice Bobcat! I had posted earlier in this thread that Bobcat was a great mower along with being reasonable priced! Allot of commercial guys that have these love em! Great cut, well built and priced well! Good luck with it!

5. Capemay Eagle

I noticed you were online Phscotty, have you found a machine yet?

6. phscotty

phscotty LawnSite Member

Over the past two weeks I had demo rides on a 2010 Hustler Super Duty 25/54, 2011 x-one 26/54, and 2010 Ferris is2000 25/52. The hustler dealer told me not to demo the x-one after the SD because I would like it better and buy it. He was right, I took delivery of the x-one last night.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Capemay Eagle

Well that's great! Let's see some pics in the Homeowner picture page!! I am going to be moving in a few years and the property is about 2.5 acres with a beautiful lawn! The X One is high on my list if it is still in production! Congrats and send some pics and info on your new machine!

8. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

ce750jockey: sorry, I don't have any experience with the Toro Timecutter series, but for 2/3 of an acre, it looks like it would do the job very nicely.
    Also, if your username means what I think it does, send me a PM...I'm in the airplane business too.

capemay eagle: Thanks! I saw your post about the Bobcats before purchasing mine, and I agree with your statement! They are well-built and have easy access to the important parts....all factored into my purchasing decision. I'll post some more pictures in the Picture thread.

9. phscotty

phscotty LawnSite Member

RacTrustee and ce750jockey I have a buddy that bought a Toro 42" last summer from HD and has been very happy with it.

Capemay....this past Sunday I had test rides of the x-one and the Ferris is2000 at my house at the same time. I cut half my yard with each machine and drove each at full speed over the rougher parts of my yard several times. The only thing I liked better about the Ferris was the ride. The ride on the ferris was better but not "wow" better. IMO every other part of the x-one was better. I'm sure I would have been more then satisfied with the Super Duty I tried the week prior but cut and durability were major factors in my choice. I found the x-one to be better in both categories. Two of my kids liked "the yellow one" and two liked "the red one" but in the end I found the x-one to be a good fit for me. I will try and get some pictures posted.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. phscotty

phscotty LawnSite Member

Im also in the market for a new trimmer. I would like to not have to use mixed gas. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
    Posted via Mobile Device