Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. IS500Z

IS500Z LawnSite Member

For a good quality 4-stroke without having to mix oil and gas (like Stihl's 4-mix) you could look at Honda or Dolmar if you have dealers near you. Both use straight gas with different oil delivery systems. The Honda's are nice but heavy.

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Being honest, I think when it comes to a trimmer, you want a 2 stroke! They are light weight and have plenty of power and are very reliable! THe Echo and Stihl line of trimmers are probably the best out there! I have a SRM210 Echo trimmer and I love it! Super light and has lots of power. Mix a 2 gallon can and it will last you all summer!

3. ce750jockey

ce750jockey LawnSite Member

4. ce750jockey

ce750jockey LawnSite Member

Hey let me help you out with this one. I don't mean to hijack the thread on ZTRs, but check out the April Popular Mechanics, pg. 95. They rate 6 trimmers. They are:

Echo SRM-225i, Hitachi CG22EASSLP, Husqvarna 223L, Kawasaki KTF27B, Redmax TR2350S, and Stihl FS 56 RC-E.

They said all are great machines. But the winner was the Echo with "explosive power and torque". 14 pounds, 107 decibels, 21.2 cc, and price $250.

Side note: I have a Stihl FS 55 R. Gobs of power. One problem, though. Winter storage. You gotta run it dry. Very small tolerances in the carb. Any gunk or crap in the gas (additives, water) and you're done. I had to rebuild the carb....twice! It's working now. The Echos are simple and rock solid. I tested them while I was rebuilding my Stihl. I'd get the Echo if I had to do it again.

5. saw n mow

saw n mow LawnSite Senior Member

I was going through the different brands recently and picking out ZTR mowers I'd be looking at if I were to step up from my BadBoy MZ (I'm very happy with it for my needs right now). The main detail would be to upgrade to non-sealed, serviceable hydros if I was to ever get a couple/few yards to mow in the side. Anyway, I was looking at the Woods brand mowers website: http://www.woodsequipment.com/mowers.aspx?id=10305&ekmensel=ff8c4a46_21_0_10305_7

To me the ZTR's look similar to the Bobcat models. Another mower to throw into the mix. Anybody have any experience with these mowers?

Kevin

6. Capemay Eagle

No Surprise there on the Echo! I have had mine four seasons now and it is still as good as day 1! I did check out the 225 and I don't care for it as much as my SRM210. It feels a little more bulky and a little heavier. I think mine is 11 pounds? Still would be my first choice!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  7. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

8. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

saw n mow: You are correct - the Woods mowers look very similar to the Bobcats - and that isn't a bad thing :) The deck lift pedal, the pulley covers, all very Bobcat-ish - common supplier perhaps?

phscotty: my father-in-law bought a Honda 4-stroke trimmer a few years ago. I tried it a few times, and it was a good trimmer, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I was going to be. Last year he traded it back in to the same dealer for an Echo. He isn't the handiest of people when it comes to things like mixing oil and gas, so I was concerned about him with this new Echo, but he buys over-the-counter gas & oil already mixed.

I had never heard of such a thing, but he buys it from his mower/trimmer dealer. Its a regular/legitimate commercial product that comes in a quart-size metal can with oil and fuel stabilizer already mixed in. I think its like $8 for a can, but if you aren't doing much trimming, this could be an option for you. (I don't remember the name of this product, but I'll ask him and post back sometime).

9. saw n mow

saw n mow LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree. In fact if I was seriously looking to upgrade my current ZTR mower, I would be seriously looking at a Woods brand mower. According to the dealer locator, there are a few dealers nearby.

Kevin

10. Capemay Eagle

From what I read these are Bobcat mowers!