Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. saw n mow

saw n mow LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for that.

Kevin

2. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

3. saw n mow

4. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

Exactly. Unless the pricing is VERY favorable, buying the OEM/Bobcat version would be the way to go...but that is my biased opinion ;-)
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. southpaw23

southpaw23 LawnSite Member
    from WI

Hi all...I'm a homeowner who for the past 5+ years, has been mowing my 2.5 acre yard with a Craftsman regular riding mower. I'm ready to take the plunge to a ZTR and I've narrowed it down to a couple options and wanted to get some opinions on which might be better.
    I'm wanting to try and keep this purchase under $3500 if possible but that's not a strict limit.
    First one is the Toro TimeCutter SS5060 (50") and the other is the Husqvarna RZ5424 (54"). Both have a 24HP two cylinder engine. Even though the Toro's deck is slightly smaller, it does have the smart speed control system. However I don't know if this is a feature that really makes a difference between these mowers. I don't fully understand what would make this preferable over the Husqvarna.
    So any opinions or thoughts would be really helpful as I want to make this purchase sometime in the next week.
    Or perhaps there is a different model altogether that I haven't considered?

6. saw n mow

I would agree. By chance you are a Bobcat mower owner?

Kevin

7. saw n mow

I would suggest looking at a BadBoy MZ...but the biggest deck available is 48". Along the same lines is the Hustler Sport and I think they are available with a 54" deck...but the price might be over what you want to spend. Both very well built mowers and I'd say the best in their class. I really like my BadBoy MZ48.

Kevin

8. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

TRUFUEL

It's about $5-6 a a can at HD, Lowes,etc has a shelf life of 2 years and no ethanol. I am using it in all my trimmers,blowers, and chainsaws.

9. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, No ethanol! I may have to look into this! I know we are mixing VP racing fuel in our racing bikes for motocross! No ethanol in that either!

10. southpaw23

southpaw23 LawnSite Member
    from WI

Wow, I guess I should have waded through the information and numerous posts here because there is a ton of info regarding ZTR mowers in my price range. I really wanted something along the lines of a 54" deck (or close to it) but not at the cost of compromising build quality and cut performance.
    I'll look into the ones you mentioned.