1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Homeowner ZTR, Tractor and mower discussion thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Capemay Eagle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

Saw n mow: yes, I am a Bobcat owner (8 days ago!)

Popeye77: thanks for the link; I may have to try some.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

You can also peek at the Bobcat Fastcat RZ!

3. southpaw23

southpaw23 LawnSite Member
    from WI

I'm going to check out a Hustler Sport on Monday. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the Bobcat as well.

4. Capemay Eagle

Quite a few engine you can get on that Sport! I would look into the Honda or the Kawasaki FR engines, but if you want to save a few bucks, the Briggs will serve you well! The Sport is available with the 54" deck as you have mentioned you were interested in! But I don't think the Honda is available in the 54" deck configuration!

Sport Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5NjiGqBk0ZM

5. RJGiants75

RJGiants75 LawnSite Member

I'm on a limited budget and was curious on what you guys thought about the Toro Timecutter ZTR's. My local dealer has the one that HD sells (Kohler engine) but also has the one with the Kawasaki engine for not much more. Thoughts?

6. Capemay Eagle

What is your budget and what kind of acreage are you cutting?
    You can get into a Badboy MZ series for about $2999 maybe the same money for the Hustler sport! And these machines are both built very well. This would be with the Briggs engine, but I feel the Briggs engines in these machines are doing pretty well. Maybe Saw & Mow can pop in here and fill you in on the MZ and the Briggs engine!

As far as the timecutter, there are people on the board here that own them and like them, Toro is a great name in the green industry, Toro commercial mowers and top notch and can maybe be said as one of the best industry! I don't feel the same about their residential mowers, but they will do the job and if you can get the Kawi engine, by all means get it! It is probably the FR engine, same as the Badboy MZ and Sport. There are more options out there for a little more money. When it comes to a ZTR purchase and few hundred more can really go along way. There are many things to consider, such as transmissions, frame build and the deck! A fabricated welded deck is certainly much better and will last a much longer time than a stamped deck. I am sure a few MZ and Sport owners will stop in here and assist you with any questions!

7. ce750jockey

ce750jockey LawnSite Member

I just took delivery of a Toro Timecutter today. I got the 42" with the 22HP Kawasaki engine. I used it today on my lawn that hasn't been cut in 2 weeks with all the rain here in Cleveland. My grass was 10" high. The mower cut through it with absolutely NO problems. Get the bigger engine, like I did. You won't regret it.

BUT, I'm an amateur, and I did learn a lesson about using these things....be careful if your lawn is soggy and marshy. I got stuck when I allowed the tires to spin and the tread to fill up with mud. I left ruts and learned you better plan your turns accordingly, or you're gonna be sorry. You don't want to be going over the same spots two or three times when you make your turns. That's where I got into trouble.

But, as far as the actual machine, it seems well built, handles like a dream, and has plenty of power to make quick work of very tall, wet grass. Now, I've only used it once, but I actually had fun cutting the grass...and drinking beer at the same time. Hmm...maybe that's why I got stuck! :hammerhead:

Hope this helps.

8. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

^^^^ Excellent - congratulations! Ya know, you really let us all down when you got a brand-new mower stuck and didn't post a picture of it for us to see :laugh:

Enjoy...

9. ce750jockey

ce750jockey LawnSite Member

I can post the muddy ruts I created during my "adventure"! Would that do? :laugh:

10. saw n mow

saw n mow LawnSite Senior Member

To add to Capemay's questions of acreage and budget, is your yard fairly smooth or fairly rough? I ask this because I have been mowing a neighbors country yard that 'something' (Possum or Armadillo) has been rooting up part of the already fairly rough yard. With my Bad Boy MZ48 I have to slow down quite a bit for the rough ride. 20" (or bigger) drive tires would probably smooth out the ride (or getting a ZTR with some sort of suspension. Other than 'wanting' bigger drive wheels for what I am mowing...I really like my MZ. I had to 'reclaim' this same yard, and it should have been bushhogged in some areas...but I put my deck on it's highest setting and went after it. The 26hp Pro Briggs did awesome.

The Briggs can be a little cold natured when trying to start it if it's been sitting for quite a while. I can engage the 48" deck with the throttle at barely an idle. The mower is very well built with it's fabbed deck and 2"x2" frame. As was already mentioned the Hustler Sport is built just as well. I believe it has extras such as a cup holder and a designated spot for an optional hour meter. I chose the MZ over the Sport because it fit me better...sat a little higher, better for my long legs.

On paper (and looked at some in person), I shopped other mowers in the general price range and to me these 2 mowers were the most mower for my money.

Here's some pics and comments on my mower:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=331844&highlight=mz48

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3785111&highlight=mz48#post3785111

Kevin