Homeowner ZTR with Flipup Deck

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dkheckman, Jan 6, 2005.

1. dkheckman

dkheckman LawnSite Member

I am looking for a homeowner ZTR with a flipup deck(two artifcial knee joints make it difficult to get down and clean the deck or change blades). I have a little less than an acre to mow but I have a lot of mow curb around the perimeter and around a number of trees. I like to bag in the spring and e fall(leaves) and mulch in the summer. Prefer something with a Kohler or Honda engine.

I have looked at the Walker but you would need two decks to mulch and bag which would put it out of my price range. Also have looked at the Grasshopper 618 and 721(721 is out of my price range). I know that Country Clipper makes a flip up deck but the nearest dealer is 200 miles away. Are there any other ZTRs out there with a flip up deck in the 5k- 8k? Any feedback would be apppreciated.

Dave H

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

go for the grasshopper you won't be disappointed!

3. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

There is a company that makes a mulch plate for the 42 in deck on a Walker that turns it into a mulching deck, dont know if you can use the mulching blades on the deck though. Another option for not wanting to bag is to use the no catch deflector. Its not mulching but its also not bagging. I use the NCD during the summer and get a good looking cut, not the bagged look but pretty good look.

nocatch.jpg

4. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

dkheckman, have you tried to contact the factory at Country Clipper. I know that they are setting up lots of dealers around the country. Maybe they can give you dealer located closer??? Worth a phone call.

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Walker's are nice but expensive. They do have a homeowner model. Check google under walker mowers.

6. dkheckman

Bantam, I have contacted Shivvers mfg who makes the Country Clipper but they were not much help in finding a dealer in my area.

Marko, I have looked at the Walker's homeowners model. It still requires a separate deck to mulch. I am looking for a mower I can bag with in the spring and mulch in the summer with out changing decks. I know you can pass grass through with a deflector on the GHS model but I an not sure how well it works.

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I work for a Walker Dealership so I may know few things about one. You can get a GHS deck and use it for mulching but using a blow plug part number number 5595-2 to plug the fan but you have to remove the deck chute to use it. Another thing you can do is the No-catch system that has alrealy been posted. You could just kick the blower belt off which I have seen done. Toro does makes some tilt deck machines but I do not thank they tilt up very far. Walker is the only one that I know that tilts up a full 90*. To be right honest about it you with two artifcial knee joints you may not wait to be lifting a Walker deck them things weight a ton. Your best bet may to be to built a table or ramp of some kind out back to drive the mower up on to get at the deck and blades. Good luck

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

...or just get a Grasshopper with the powerfold deck. It goes up about 80*

9. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

I cant lift a walker deck becuase of a disability(wheelchair), but I do use a block and tackle to lift the deck and the body to do maintenence and such, works slick

10. dkheckman

I will probably just end up going with the Grasshopper. They make a 618 model which I understand is primarily for homeowner use. It has a electric tilt up deck and you can bag or convert to mulching with a mulch kit. I am not sure if Grasshopper is same quality as the Walker but should meet my needs which will probably be 50-60 hours each season.

Thanks to everybody for all the feedback.