homeowner ztr's

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by palm boy, Sep 22, 2005.

1. palm boy

palm boy LawnSite Member

my neighbor has seeked my advice on a mower for his lawn. He has just recently moved down here to Florida to feed the mosquitos, roaches, overcrowd our schools some more, and increase our traffic on our hurricane evacuation routes, ...

No but seriously, he is looking for a ztr or a wb for just his lawn which is an average size lawn. I have been mowing with my 60" front runner and it takes 15-18 minutes max. My mower is overkill and he needs a 36-50 max cut. He has looked at the cub cadet at blowes- 22 hp for $2900 I beleive, 40-50 inch cut, I cannot remember. Would you suggest this mower? I talked to my dealer and he says he has a Hustler homeowner model, 14 or 15 hp for something like $34-3500. Told my nieghbor I might be worried about service w/ the cadet, although it does have the extra horsepower. Also told him that the extra $600 for the Hustler w/ less horsepower would probably be a better buy. I did call the locao Scag dealer and he says for a homeowner mower he has a scag ztr for $5999. Do not think my neighbor wants to pay this much. Another option I gave him was to purchase a walk behind w/ velke/jungle jim or whatever you guys call them now. But for a 36'' wb he will save probably only less than $!,000. Any suggestions? I have leaned him more towards the hustler or a 36 wb- exmark or a scag. Would you say no to the cadet? Thanks for any info.

2. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Do NOT recommend the Cub Cadet from Lowes for $2900. That model is called the RZT and has EXTREMELY flimsy integrated drives called EZT model drives. If he must go with a homeowner Z, make SURE that it has the bigger IZT model drives or even better, individual pumps and wheel motors. The RZT Cub also has an EXTRA flimsy deck and spindles. Stay away from it.

The problem with buying a Z with pumps and motors is that about the cheapest you can buy is somewhere around $5,000 or more.

If he MUST go with a Cub Cadet residential, get the Z-Force in an '05 model or later. They had lots of trouble with the '04's because of the Briggs Intek engine. The '05's have a Kohler.

The Hustler homeowner most likely has integrated drives. Again MAKE SURE they are the IZT model drives. If the drive model number is hard to find in the literature it is most likely the flimsy EZT drive and should be avoided.

Hope this helps,
    Doc

3. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Recommend the Toro Time Cutter ZTR if he can learn to use a ZTR.

No offense, but some older folks can't adjust to using a ZTR after using tractors for years.

The toro runs $3,000 and is a great homeowner machine.

4. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess you didn't say his age, I just assumed being florida. My bad.

5. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

........I'd say the walk-behinds would be a better route. Cadet service is not really good down here. Lesco has a great service team here...with 4 0r 5 service stations all within 15 minutes of downtown Orlando. I actually like the Lesco walk-behinds quite a bit! Hydros for under 3500 bucks...and they do hold up....my 48 hydro has over 3000 hours on it.....cuts like it has about 700 ours on it! People bad mouth them....but oh well.

But the exmarks and others are great service departments too...so preference I guess.

Dennis

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

you never said if he was a beer drinker or not? its hard to use a z or walkbehind and hold a beer... :p i'd go with the cheapest lawntractor unless he plans on going into the business.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If he has an average sized lawn (whatever that may be) and he's only going to do one lawn then he should be looking at a high quality lawn tractor. A lot of the newer riders have very tight turning radiuses and come with decent power. He can get a whole lot better mower from Simplicity for 3 grand then that piece of junk Toro Timecutter. Two names I would look at in a quality rider for a small yard (under 1 acre) are upper end John Deeres and Simplicitys. Both of those mowers will also do a whole lot more than cut grass too.

8. MBDiagMan

I looked for info on the Toro Timecutter and could find no details on their website. I would be SHOCKED if this mower, for $3000 has anything besides the dreaded EZT drives.

DO NOT BUY ANY ZTR MOWER MADE BY ANY MANUFACTURER IF IT HAS EZT DRIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The EZT drive has a shaft that is too small and breaks OFTEN. It also has LOTS of failures in the hydraulic portion of the unit. Worse yet, the shops do not repair them, they can only sell you an entire unit for over $500 each.

You would be better off with a used commercial unit with individual pumps and motors or even a more expensive residential that has the much more robust IZT model drives.

Trust me on this.

Good luck,
    Doc

9. twindiddy

twindiddy LawnSite Member

I suggest the Toro TimeCutter Z. Great Toro support in our area (Polk county).

10. MBDiagMan

The Toro Time cutter Z might be the greatest machine in the world, but MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT HAVE EZT DRIVES!!!!!!!! If it does, DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it has IZT drives maybe it is okay.

Have a great day,
    Doc