"homeowners" Beware!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by roadhawg3, Mar 12, 2004.

1. roadhawg3

roadhawg3 LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. Just signed up today, have found a lot of useful information. I am thinking about buying a new zero turn mower and would like to get some input from those that have been "there". I have been pricing, and comparing several different mowers both walk behind, and riders. Lowes has a Husquvarna 38" rider for $2699. It is not a "commercial grade" mower, but rather for "homeowners use". This is much less in price than all the others. Ace has a Scag commercial rider for $5999. and a 36" walk behind Scag for about ($2674) So I am wondering if this " homeowner"unit at Lowes would stand up in commercial use?:confused:

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

No chance. Spend the extra, get a commercial unit. If that scag is a hydro, good price, if not, run away! Exmark 36" belt drive are around $2000.00, hydros are over $4000.00.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

check out cub cadets, we have 3 of them...........Great machines!!

4. chines63

chines63 LawnSite Member

Don't ever buy cub cadet. JUNK

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you are starting in “Business”, you should be buying “Business equipment”, plain and simple. Homeowner stuff it just that. However, if you starting to work “Part time”, that’s a different story and you should buy whatever you feel you can offer to begin making money.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

what do you mean Cub's are junk. There is a little bit of mtd in everything. We have had very good luck with them and have a dealer that is excellent!!!!

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

The cub cadet commercial lawn mowers I have had for 7 and 6 years are certainly not junk, and hold up better than the majority of the crap people brag about on here. Like dcondon said, mtd has it's hand or parts in many mowers on the market today.

8. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

total crap. cubs that is. we started out with a cub. of course we also started out with a handheld blower and a ryobi weedwhacker. ahhhhh, the things experience teaches us.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Why is a handheld blower junk??? i have both a handheld and a backpack blower. On most small sidewalks the handheld is better time i get the back pack fired up and put on I could be done,short sidewalks 50 ft or less, Just a ????? not a to start a fight

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Why is a handheld blower junk??? i have both a handheld and a backpack blower. On most small sidewalks the handheld is better time i get the back pack fired up and put on I could be done,short sidewalks 50 ft or less, Just a ????? not a to start a fight,
    Road hawg I would go with the scag , the unit from lowes may hold up a season or so but i think the scag would serve you longer and better