Homeowners out for the best price...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by r8derman, May 29, 2005.

1. r8derman

r8derman LawnSite Member

This is my Second year of maintenance but have been in tree removal for about 15 yrs and I really am finding out alot of homeowners don't really care what the yard looks like, as long as it's mowed, and they get a cheap price. In my area most residentials are $30-$40. Most of mine are $40 and I am being undercut pretty bad in some subdivisions. I have great equipment that makes a great cut and, w/ the price of gas I can't afford to do a 10,000 sq. ft. yard for 30 bucks. I'm getting killed by no-name companys that come in and cut the whole yard w a Honda push mower and 3-4 guys and charge like $25 to $30. Should I drop my prices to try to compete, or stay where I am? This must be the reason I don't have as much work as some around here, even though it looks better when I pull away. What should I do?

2. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

if you're in tree service and you've been doing good with that, i would look at cutting grass as a side-gig. you're not struggling for accounts and if you keep your prices consistent and do work that warrants the price you should be fine.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I think in the long run, your customer base will grow, but slowly. The reason is it takes longer to grow a good, caring customer base then it does a cheap I-don't-give-a-crap customer base. The advantage to waiting is, you'll recieve more referrals and have less headaches. And, if you keep giving quality service, they won't want to give that up.
    Hang in there. Take time to watch it grow.

I'm in my third year. There alot of guys out there lowballing. But here I am, slowly growing and loving it!

4. smitdavi

smitdavi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

IMO customers like that are the ones that cause the most headaches and troubles. Keep doing your quality work and the customers you ACTUALLY want will notice.

5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Like what, like the ones that like to keep ya? How about the nickel and dimmers that have every excuse in the book not to pay when you bent over backward on a bid. Happens more than most people will admit.

6. smitdavi

smitdavi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

That's what I'm sayin, the nickel and dimers are the ones that cause the most problems, they see every little detail and when it comes time for pay day they are nowhere to be found.