Homogenous fert?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Microbe, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

I was just at Bisset nursery the other day... They gave me a catalog with all these different ferts in it.. What is better to use, a I believe its spelled Homogenous fert, and then theres regular fert.... Whats the advantages of this type of fert compared to the other?

It seems like one is a complete granuel with all 3 nitrogen, phosphorus, and potash. Then theres a granuel which has 1 prill for each ingredient... Thanks...

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What homogenous fertilizers are, are ferts that all the ingredients are cooked together, and then ground up. What you have then, is a fert that every granule is the exact same. Scotts brand, for instance, is a fert. that is done this way. Advantage? Every granule is the exact same for uniform distribution. There are quick release ferts and slow release ferts like this. The slow release is done by an additive that slows the dissolution process. However, with homogenous ferts, it is usually one or the other.
    With a blended fertilizer, there are completely se[erate particles for the ingredients. Each prill has it's own ingredient(s). The advantage to this, is that by coating some of the prills with sulpher (or other compounds), the percentage amount of slow release prills can be controlled. For instance, there are 30% slow release, 50%, etc..
    There, now that I've babbled on, :sleeping: and you haven't haven't learned a DARNED thing from me, :dizzy: I would LOVE to do some actual research and learn all the TRUE advantages and disadvantages of each. LOL

3. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

It just makes more sense to me theoretically to have fertilizer that packs the punch in one prill that way you know the grass is uniform, no? Hmmmmm..... What is the price difference at lesco? Does lesco sell homongenous ferts?
    Thanks runner, I have enjoyed reading your posts since I've joined this site and before I was a member!

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Fellows

I ignored this thread on propose. I really didn't want to type two pages of reply to answer it. 3 factor come into play in the value of Non-Homogeneous and Homogeneous fertilizer. 1 Soil make up. 2 Type of turf or plant requirements. 3 Economics. Soils with High CEC and course turf grass will do well with non-Homogeneous fertilizer. Soils with low CEC like USGA greens mix and short mowed finer turf grass need the Benefit of a Elite prill Homogeneous fertilizer. Therefore the Name "Greens Grade" fertilizer.

I have give a nut shell of non Homogeneous and Homogeneous fertilizer. Yes volumes have been written about it. There are more factors here than I care to take the time to explain. Homogeneous fertilizer that is Slow release is Expensive and only worth the extra expense in certain application.

5. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Interesting reply ric..... What do you mean by Cec for those that are not familiar with the abreviations... thanks! So homongenous is a finer fertilizer or smaller prill than regualr... I understand that homongenous has all three ingredients in it..... wouldn't that be always better? This is very interesting to me and my business.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Microbe

CEC = Cation Exchange Capacity

No. There are many grades of Prill. Whether a prill is large or small is independed of the compound it is made up of.

Do a search here on LS. I have explained much of this already.

7. BigCity

BigCity LawnSite Member

I know the Novex stuff at Lesco is expensive, but in theory should be better. I had always felt(no proof) that non -homogeneous did not spread as uniform at lower rates due to differing granule densities(weight)

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Big City

In Both Theory and Practice you are correct about Particle distribution of Non Homogeneous Fert. Looking at the prill sizes, you will notice a differences. Varying sizes will be thrown differently by the broad cast wheel.