Homowner mower maintenance

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by willmac, Nov 30, 2005.

1. willmac

willmac LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I was just wondering what all that I needed to do for my mower that I just got, and I had a couple of questions.

What type of oil do I use? I have a 15 hp scag belt drive. It has a kawasaki engine. I believe it is an 01 or 02. How often do I need to change the oil filter?

How often do I need to change the belts? All of them?

What type of blades do I need just for mowing grass. Or mulching? I'd rather not buy them from the dealer, becasue they are way overpriced there.

Thanks for all the help while I learn about this

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

10w30 oil, i like mobil one synthetic, ide change the filters every year and belts whenever needed. Gators seem to be popular on here for mulching, buying from the dealer is probably your best bet on getting decent blades. Home depot probably doesn't carry blades for those. Just my .02

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

oil and filters 100 hrs of use. for you probably once a year i use castrol 10/30 synthetic. belts when they break, are slipping, or really cracked. for you probably sharpen blades once a month. they'll last few years or more for residential use. any other questions ask mike. im tired. :sleeping:

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic